Costa Rica Apr 30 - May 8, 2015

Moderators: Talltails, LCallaghan, jsuber

WannaDoDat
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Re: Costa Rica Apr 30 - May 8, 2015

Post by WannaDoDat »

Could have sworn those were the hoots and hollers heard across the waters of folks catching a good one. :lol:

Very cool!!
BackCast
Yaking Monster
Yaking Monster

Post by BackCast »

[quote="fishinbug"]Ya'll keep encouraging me like this means I'll keep PE'n.
:D
Hey, youse folks wouldn't make fun of me would you? I've hung out on a New England upland hunting forum for the past 10+ years and PE is a pretty common term. Of course everybody knows that Yankees talk funny! :wink:
WannaDoDat
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by WannaDoDat »

Was wondering if your group cooked your own food or were there dining accommodations nearby?

How remote were you?
fishinbug
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by fishinbug »

We had a really nice kitchen in the other house. We ate a few meals there, but there are a number of good restaurants and beach bars that we frequented too. Il Basilico is an excellent spot to feast. Check out the menu. http://www.ilbasiliconosara.com/home.html We bartered some of our catch with one of the local restaurant/bars that has served as a starting point for us.

The nearest town of any size is Nicoya which is over an hour away on rough roads. I have not been into the town of Nosara which is a couple of miles from the beach we stay. It has a bank, grocery store and pharmacy.

Are you planning a trip, Jean? 8)
"It's not as easy as I make it look."
---thus sayeth the suber
WannaDoDat
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by WannaDoDat »

Looks great, Nicholas! I bet those tasty meals were relished with gusto after a long day out on the boat seeking your fishes of a lifetime!!

As far as planning a trip like that...gotta say the idea of seeing and experiencing different places has always appealed to me but my recent form of wanderlust is limited to more local adventures. And I'm perfectly happy to not have to travel long distances to do so.
I've lived in this area for most of my life but I am still discovering it's gems in a very relaxed and leisurely style, and loving every minute of it. :D

Just want to thank you again for taking the time and effort to post up the delightful details, photos and videos of your trip!
Bless me, FCKA, for I have been slacking in the reports duties but I sure have been having my own fun and enjoying the stories of others.

Jean
fishinbug
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by fishinbug »

I still have to finish my report. Thanks for following along. I got bit by the travel/wanderlust bug at an early age. When I got my first passport I discovered a key to more adventures. The long distance travel gets harder as the years creep up on me.

Spain is coming up in November. :mrgreen:
---thus sayeth the suber
WannaDoDat
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by WannaDoDat »

fishinbug wrote:
Spain is coming up in November. :mrgreen:
Oh wow!!! Incredible!! :A1
fishinbug
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by fishinbug »

Funny how plans can change...right? :roll: Our Spain adventure is canceled but I survived. :A1

After my four day stretch of fishing it was time for a group adventure on shore. The place is advertised as the longest zipline in the world and many of the guys had gone in years before. I was a first time zipliner and another friend who has a fear of heights came this year too. We got all geared up with harnesses and helmets and loaded onto a 2.5 ton cargo truck outfitted with bench seats.
P5050942.JPG
P5050951.JPG
P5050955.JPG
Then we rumbled and rattled our way up the mountain.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
---thus sayeth the suber
WannaDoDat
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by WannaDoDat »

Uh unh...no you didn't! 8O
fishinbug
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by fishinbug »

yuh huh ...did so too :lol:

http://www.missskycanopytour.com/ We found out the helmets were for protection from branches overhanging the trail up the mountain. We were there at the end of the dry season so there was not the lush jungle cover on the slopes. The views were opened up as a result and as we climbed and ground upward we had vistas to the Pacific Ocean. Once we got to the top it was a short stroll to the first station/jumping off point. 8O The guides went over the harness and proper technique and hand signals to use while zip lining. I got to go first. :D My friend Chuck who is afraid of heights followed me. The video is his first run on the zip line.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nc0s4M2xAnk
P5050960.JPG
P5050963.JPG
P5050966.JPG
I had a blast. The sound of the cable going through the rollers is a high pitched whine that gets louder the faster it goes. The first run was pretty tame and then we had to trek up a very steep path to the second station. We were all huffing and puffing by the time we reached the station and the guides had cups of water waiting for us before we hooked up to the cable again. The entire zip line tour was almost 3 hours and the runs totaled 11 km. On the longest highest run one of the guides asked me if I wanted to do a "Helicopter" so of course I said "Si". He hooked up to the cable behind me and instructed me to turn upside down and lean back. I did that and he gave me a push that started a gentle rotation as I dangled over a canyon about 1,000 feet below me. I was laughing like a crazy man as I took in views of the gorge, the ocean, mountains, and jungle below.
P5050974.JPG
P5050984.JPG
I'll give you fair warning on these next videos. They're very shaky and if you suffer from seasickness don't look. :wink: On the last video I just let the camera hang from my wrist as I took off.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwG_N0Bwvq8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8okqKMGMsCc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PckhuDOckJE

After the last run we mounted up in the truck and rode back down the trail to the office. I'd go again. 8)

Then we went to lunch. :20
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
---thus sayeth the suber
WannaDoDat
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by WannaDoDat »

Wow wow WOW!!! That's incredible!! How can you stay so silent on the ride, especially upside down and spinning?!!?! I would have been screeching in fear (and delight??!) the whole time!!

"* The only lightning grounded canopy in Costa Rica"
Uhhhhhhh...don't think I'd get close if there was a chance of lightning. 8O

Good for you, Nicholas!! What an adventure of a lifetime!!!

Sorry that Spain got put on hold. Hope you are healing up well!