Duck Hunting

Moderators: Talltails, LCallaghan, jsuber

321angler

Duck Hunting

Post by 321angler »

I'm a student here at Florida State and have been able to find a few fish here and there, but I'm completely lost on finding any ducks as the early teal season starts up in a couple days. I've scouted Lake Talquin and Iamonia but have seen very few birds, though both of the lakes look like great habitat for any waterfowl species. If anyone wouldn't mind pointing me in the right direction, I'd be very grateful. :-)
salty gator
Yaking Monster
Yaking Monster

Re: Duck Hunting

Post by salty gator »

There aren't many duck hunters on this site. I may be the only one. I don't hunt early season( duck hunting is supposed to be cold), so haven't done any scouting. You may try the big bend forum hunting section. Don't hold your breath waiting on folks to give up what they have scouted, tight lipped bunch for good reason. Lots of cyber scouters around. Good luck
You should have been here yesterday
bk
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by bk »

Most ducks I've seen have been at lake Munson. But the hell if I'd eat anything from that vicinity. Heck, I won't even touch the fish I catch there. Not to mention that it's the only place I won't use my teeth to cut the fishing line. I always feel dirty leaving there, could be the floating, raw sewage. But man is it a beautiful lake - if you don't look at the water.

I've heard the ducks there referred to as "water foul".
And the turtles as "turdles".
"i said flotation is groovy and easy. Even a jellyfish would agree to that." - jimi
CharlesDad
Yakaholic
Yakaholic

Post by CharlesDad »

When I was growing up in Tallahassee (40's-early 50's) Lake Munson was called s....t lake. The Tallahassee sewer system outfall was there.

Talquin and Iamonia are OK for freshwater ducks but can be crowded, Piney Island is OK for salt water ducks. May find a few wood ducks in some of the rivers. Not enough cold weather up north to bring the ducks down yet. Maybe around Thanksgiving.