Rigging fr sheepshead?

Moderators: Talltails, LCallaghan, jsuber

luceror
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Rigging fr sheepshead?

Post by luceror »

I'd like to try and Catch some sheepshead this winter. Could someone tell me what kind of rig works good or best in our bigbend waters? Hooksize&style - bottom fish or cork?Any additional info will likewise be very much appreciated.
salty gator
Yaking Monster
Yaking Monster

Re: Rigging fr sheepshead?

Post by salty gator »

When targeting sheepshead I'll use a small very sharp hook ( # 2 up to a 1-0 if they are really big like during the offshore spawn), I like the owner hooks in the green pack. The only time I use j hooks is for sheepies, but you can use a circle hook if you prefer. I've never gut hooked one, because your usually lucky of you can get it in their mouths before they nibble the bait off your hook. Use enough weight to get the bait to the fish with a slow sink down the structure your fishing( I usually use a small split shot). No cork. Use shrimp ( smaller pieces w the hook buried deep works best for me) or fiddler crabs. I've heard of folks also using oysters, scallops and sand fleas. Some people will use a flat hoe or shovel to break barnacles off of bridges etc to make a chum slick. Never needed to do that. If they are there they usually bite. Good luck
You should have been here yesterday
CharlesDad
Yakaholic
Yakaholic

Post by CharlesDad »

What Salty said. Fiddler crabs are good. Find a rock hole in some of the creeks.
luceror
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Post by luceror »

IMG_20150519_114152.jpg
Thanks fr info. Still try fr a buck but only 2weeks left in season. Then I'm going to target these critters. Only caught a couple as by catch this spring. Good eating FSH. Thanks again.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.