Looking for first time kayak fishing help

Moderators: Talltails, LCallaghan, jsuber

goldie059

Looking for first time kayak fishing help

Post by goldie059 »

I'm a fish biologist from far up north (think Canada, not Kentucky) taking my family to Alligator Point for vacation in April. I would like to rent a few kayaks for the week and do a bunch of fishing in Alligator Harbor/Panacea. I'm not much of a guided trip guy, like to learn on my own, but not opposed to doing it to learn the ropes.

Any suggestions on where to get some kayaks for fishing? They would have to each fit one adult and one small child. Also, I do tie a bunch of my own flies, is it worth trying to tie up some for this kind of fishing or is spinnjng tackle the best bet? Thanks for any information you can provide.

Thanks!
fishinbug
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Re: Looking for first time kayak fishing help

Post by fishinbug »

The Wilderness Way near Crawfordville is a great place to rent kayaks. http://www.thewildernessway.net/kayak-rentals.html If it's your first time fishing in a kayak I'd suggest going with spinning tackle. Fly lines in a kayak can be more than challenging. April is a beautiful time of year for fishing.

Be sure to read through this thread. http://www.fcka.net/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=76&t=1620 It will give suggestions specific to fishing this area. Let us know how you do.

:D
"It's not as easy as I make it look."
---thus sayeth the suber
GoodCall
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Post by GoodCall »

Fishinbug hit it outta the park. Hope you enjoy the area.
goldie059

Post by goldie059 »

Thanks for the info. Do you think it's worth getting a guide for a day or is it fairly straight forward fishing?
WannaDoDat
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by WannaDoDat »

If you do go with a guide, may I highly recommend Bill Goodroe ("Fishbaitbilly") or Rob Baker ("Reel-Fin-Addict") from Wilderness Way. Lots of great advice and good humor.

Have a wonderful adventure!

Jean