St. George Island Kayaking - June 12-19

Moderators: Talltails, LCallaghan, jsuber

JPVERN
Baitor
Baitor

St. George Island Kayaking - June 12-19

Post by JPVERN »

Last year was my first year taking my kayak and I loved it. I caught a lot of small (16-22") reds, flounder, some trout and a couple of big black drum. This year I'll be headed back the 3rd week of June with my new Vibe Seaghost 130 and plan to hit more areas.
20150619_082605.jpg
I've only fished around Bulkhead Point but plan to hit more this year. I'm looking for advise for the northern end (Goose Island / East Cove/etc) & I'm hoping to paddle out around the old land bridge. Also thinking since the surf is smoother in the AM, I may head out from the beach. Any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Whether it be with weapon or wits, an armed man defeats an unarmed man with monotonous regularity.
SO MOTE IT BE
WannaDoDat
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Re: St. George Island Kayaking - June 12-19

Post by WannaDoDat »

Looks like you've got it figured out! Big Ugly beauty! :P

Lots of structure and tide flow. Numerous oyster bars, grass/mixed bottom, shoreline, a bit of inlets and protection with Goose Island.

Have a blast exploring!

Jean
JPVERN
Baitor
Baitor

Post by JPVERN »

Well, I have the jest of it. I've been fishin' my whole life and most of it (minus time in the Army) I was at St. George atleast once a year. I've just started kayak fishing in the last few years though.
I mostly use poppin cork(Cajun Thunder) and Gulp, but I want to learn some other tricks for the redfish and trout. I've been watching on here a lot and I think I have a good idea. I'm taking some spoons and spinners this year.
I fish mostly lighter tackle for the enjoyment and those big black beauties are LOTS OF FUN!!!!
Thanks. Hopefully this year I'll have more pictures to post. This is family vacation time, but I plan on making 3 or 4 trips thru the year from now on.
I'm really interested in the waterways and bayous up 65. They seem interesting, but I don't want to just end up in the mud with some gators.
Whether it be with weapon or wits, an armed man defeats an unarmed man with monotonous regularity.
SO MOTE IT BE
new2yaks11
Yak Daddy
Yak Daddy

Post by new2yaks11 »

Nice drum. I've never fished St. George Island except form the beach on the gulf sides. I'd like to explore the bay side and the bride area. Have caught some decent sharks on the bay side and saw schools of tarpon feeding on the surface one evening about 125 yds off the beach. I'd be interested in a trip to fish there if you want some company. If I'm available I'll go. Good luck.
JPVERN
Baitor
Baitor

Post by JPVERN »

Yes, St. George, like most of the "forgotten coast" is an excellent fishery.
I'm there each year in June for vacation which is not the best time of year, but still produces. When I start going more often I'll be sure and post on here so anyone wanting join can come on down. I'm sure that fall and early spring are much better fishing than summer.
I really want to target sheepshead but I don't know if they are in that area when I go. I'll be finding out this year.
We always fish the surf at night with some friends down there "The Island Hookers" and catch some really nice sharks. A little scary because me and my family play during the day just a quarter mile away, but that I know of there haven't been any shark attacks down there.
I'll always get up at daylight and either fish the surf for trout & whitting or take the kayak out.
It's just a great place all around.
SO MOTE IT BE
fishinbug
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by fishinbug »

Besides the spoon be sure to get some top water lures. One Knocker, Spook Junior work well.
"It's not as easy as I make it look."
---thus sayeth the suber
el guapo

Post by el guapo »

I am vacationing on the Plantation at the same time as you. I have had more success in May than June but last year was subpar. I bring everything but most success with Cajun thunder like you and also with live mud minnows that I trap. Always fished the bayside on my kayak.
kikstand454
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by kikstand454 »

Yes!

Get a bone spook JR........it will change your life.

Happy hunting!
JPVERN
Baitor
Baitor

Post by JPVERN »

el guapo wrote:(I am vacationing on the Plantation at the same time as you. I have had more success in May than June but last year was subpar. I bring everything but most success with Cajun thunder like you and also with live mud minnows that I trap. Always fished the bayside on my kayak.)
Stay in touch.. I'll be staying at Bucaneer Inn.
678-447-3724
jpvcwby@gmail.com
I usually fish alone there, simply because I don't know anyone, but it'd be great to hook up while we are there. Fishin' with a buddy out there is a good idea.
I'll be bringing my son's (12yrs old) kayak this year too. He will not go everyday but will come a few times.
Also, I can introduce you to the "Island Hookers" for some night time shark fishing on the surf. It's a blast. They kayak the bait out 500-600 yards and it's an awesome time. We caught several 4ft-8ft critters last year.
SO MOTE IT BE
el guapo

Post by el guapo »

Will do. Driving down from Nashville.
Yak Crevalle
Yakaholic
Yakaholic

Post by Yak Crevalle »

I've had the most luck using a bone colored one knocker. Pink rapala skitterwalk and mullet patterned or red head mirrolure top dog also work well. Aqua Dream spoons are great and you can have a lot of fun with a sebile suspending twitch lure. Never had much luck with Gulp shrimp but maybe I was using the wrong color. Have done well with the gulp 4" swimming mullet. We'll be staying on the bay just west of the bridge in June. Don't think we'll have kayaks this time but we've got a dock. New area on the island for us and hoping there are plenty of fish.
Hobie Compass
Hobie Compass Duo