Headed West by Way of Maryland

Moderators: Talltails, LCallaghan, jsuber

jsuber
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Headed West by Way of Maryland

Post by jsuber »

Hell it snowed on us when we went over Lolo Pass in mid June. And yes, all those springs are warm springs. A lot of the bikers took advantage of those. Dont know how they found them. It was pre iphone when i was there last.
Jeff Suber

¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>

2022 Hobie Pro Angler 14
2019 Hobie Outback
Malone Trailer
Penn Battle III
Bone One-Knocker and Gold ADL spoon
fishinbug
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by fishinbug »

This morning we are about to head south into California to take a look at some big trees. Jedediah Smith State Park is the spot we are choosing to see our first giant redwoods. The high today is 63.

Here are a few pictures from the past couple of weeks. More to follow.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"It's not as easy as I make it look."
---thus sayeth the suber
WannaDoDat
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by WannaDoDat »

Spectacular scenery!

Can't even imagine how big those giant trees are! How many Pinky strides will it take to circumnavigate the circumference circumstantially and done circuitously ? :lol: :P :o :o

Jean
fishinbug
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by fishinbug »

We have made the turn for home. This morning we will leave Oregon behind and spend the night tonight in California. Then we are on our way across Nevada and Utah on I-80...ugh...but the accommodations along 80 are more numerous than out on US 50. We are pointed towards Dinosaur National Monument in NE Utah. This is another place I saw as a kid. I'm anxious to see how many skeletons have been exposed in the past 50 years.

We are continuing to enjoy our daily rides in the country. Each area holds new scenery and experiences. Yesterday evening while walking the dogs we came upon a mule deer and her fawn. The dogs did not see her and I'm glad for that. The two dogs pulling together are more than a handful to restrain.

Crater Lake is an unearthly blue set in a rugged rocky bowl. Several extinct volcanoes are visible from the rim road around the lake. Be ready for some breathtaking views and white knuckle grips on the steering wheel as the lack of guard rails and the presence of sheer cliffs test a driver's nerve.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
---thus sayeth the suber
WannaDoDat
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by WannaDoDat »

Absolutely breathtaking!!! I would be in sheer terror driving along those roads with the sheer drop offs. 8O

Hope the highway driving on the return trip is smooth and snag free. And may all your fellow drivers be courteous and alert. :D

Jean
bigboots
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Post by bigboots »

Beautiful pictures. My wife would be in the floorboard,freaking out.
Fishbaitbilly
Yaking Monster
Yaking Monster

Post by Fishbaitbilly »

WannaDoDat wrote:Absolutely breathtaking!!! I would be in sheer terror driving along those roads with the sheer drop offs. 8O

Jean
That's why they call it sheer. From what I heer. :D
WannaDoDat
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by WannaDoDat »

Fishbaitbilly wrote:
WannaDoDat wrote:Absolutely breathtaking!!! I would be in sheer terror driving along those roads with the sheer drop offs. 8O

Jean
That's why they call it sheer. From what I heer. :D
You heer-ed right, Billy.

Keeping his gaze on her sheer blouse billowing in the wind he didn't see the boulder on the mountain road but quickly sheered around it at the last minute causing sheer terror as the convertible skidded and came to a terrifying stop just inches from the sheer precipice.

Jean
fishinbug
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by fishinbug »

WannaDoDat wrote:Spectacular scenery!

Can't even imagine how big those giant trees are! How many Pinky strides will it take to circumnavigate the circumference circumstantially and done circuitously ? :lol: :P :o :o

Jean
Your circumlocution caused a circumspect circumnavigation of the tree in question.
---thus sayeth the suber
fishinbug
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by fishinbug »

Sheer madness and pucker power kept me off of the floorboards. In the really tight spots I closed my eyes and mashed on the gas.
:23

Diane did a couple loads of laundry yesterday afternoon while I made sure the dogs kept producing hair in the camper. I heard her knock on the door needing help to open it with her hands full. When I opened the door for her she was covered in dust and bits of grass and debris. On her walk back from the laundry room to the camper she was overtaken by a dust devil. Pinkie and all of the laundry were covered in a fine grit and bits of dried grass and leaves. The dust devil swirled around her while she kept her eyes closed. I'm glad she had a sense of humor about the Dry Swirly From Cali. :lol:

Anybody need me to stop in Reno for anything? WInnemucca this evening.
---thus sayeth the suber
WannaDoDat
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by WannaDoDat »

Great mental image of Dusty Diane!!! :lol: :20
jsuber
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jsuber »

Living the dream
Jeff Suber

¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>

2022 Hobie Pro Angler 14
2019 Hobie Outback
Malone Trailer
Penn Battle III
Bone One-Knocker and Gold ADL spoon
fishinbug
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by fishinbug »

jsuber wrote:Living the dream
...and still loving it.

My my my my my...the time has gotten away from me. We spent this past week crossing Oregon, Nevada, and today we have landed just south of Salt Lake City. I screwed up my reservations last week and we ended up driving five days in a row. Not a big deal, but I prefer to travel three and take a break. North Nevada was a trip. Lots of wide open space, straight roads, and mountains as far as the horizon. There are hundreds of miles of vastness and harshness and solitude. We crossed into Utah on I-80 and the Bonneville Speedway laid out before us and the Great Salt Flats stretched for miles ahead. We marveled at the pioneers who crossed on the California Trail. I cannot imagine how hard a journey that must have been.

We have about 180 miles to go tomorrow for a two night stay near Dinosaur National Monument. I saw the monument when I was a kid but that was over 50 years ago. There are many more fossils that have been exposed over the years. Diane is crazy about dinosaurs, natural history, geology and rocks. She'll be over the moon with excitement.

We are on our way home. The sun is in our eyes as we drive and the compass is bearing southeast. There's no rush, but each driving day brings thoughts of the next destination.

The camera has been in standby mode these past days/daze. I'll remedy that with dinosaur bones.

:D
---thus sayeth the suber
WannaDoDat
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by WannaDoDat »

fishinbug wrote:

Jean
Your circumlocution caused a circumspect circumnavigation of the tree in question.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
I somehow missed this! I must have veered when I should have sheered! Hee hee

Have fun with the old bones and stones!! :D

Jean
fishinbug
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by fishinbug »

WannaDoDat wrote:
fishinbug wrote:

Jean
:lol: :lol: :lol:
I somehow missed this! I must have veered when I should have sheered! Hee hee

Have fun with the old bones and stones!! :D

Jean
Sheered may have some meaning if the circum trend above is to include cision. Having said that I'll cut this short. :23

I have a great shot of Diane touching a 150,000,000 year old femur. I'll post it when we have a better connection. Her delight is priceless. The formations out here are again amazing and unique. Rock layers are tilted skyward at a 60 degree pitch. Variations in color and shape and size of rocks piled one upon another some in ranks others random stretch the limits of the mind. Scale of earth formations dwarfs even the largest reptile to have ever roamed the region. Pictures do not capture even a small portion of the grand vistas that appear around the next curve.

We found another local butcher along the way to the Dino Monument. Two ribeyes and a couple of packages of Colorado jerky and two complimentary shin bones for the yellow dogs are now a part of the larder.

Last night was a gorgeous sunset. There have not been colorful sunsets until yesterday. I drove over to a closed service road in search of a vantage point to shoot award winning photos. :roll: The road had not been used for a long while so I had to step through and around a clutter of tumbleweeds and deep ruts. On my right was a rock ridge that rose above the sage brush and junipers. Onward and upward I went keeping an eye on where I intended to land my next step. I'm not afraid of snakes but I am aware of them. I would love to see a rattler out here if I get to see it first. That's fair and not too much to ask isn't it? I didn't find the magic spot but I did get some pictures. I also got a start when I walked up on a rabbit. One of the two of us was more scared than the other and it may have been me. 8O :lol:

We have an air mattress for just in case and who knows what. Last night it was our star viewing platform. After dinner of grilled green ling we lay under the twilight and into the dark. There were three that first lit up. They formed a cosmic Right Triangle above us. The stars appeared slowly and in a twinkle they brightened one here and another there far off to the right. Then there were many countless numbers of stars stretching across the blackness of the universe. The soft sound of Diane's breathing woke me up. :lol: This has been a great stop.

Colorado tomorrow.
---thus sayeth the suber