Having a tough time deciding....

Moderators: Talltails, LCallaghan, jsuber

RyanWarden
Yakaholic
Yakaholic

Having a tough time deciding....

Post by RyanWarden »

Hey guys having a tough time deciding where to fish. I have my brother in law coming in for the weekend and he wants to fish Friday. Now I live in Fort Benning, Ga and frequent the panacea area to fish. I've fished Levy Bay, piney island, oyster bay, skipper bay road often. But I was doing a little map recon and was looking into lighthouse road... Putting in there and heading west across the creek/river to some wind protected cuts that look to have good moving water. I've never fished there before but am always open to try new things. The 1.8 mile paddle across isn't a bother one bit. But I'm torn on deciding between taking him there or the usual levy bay deal. Any input would be helpful and greatly appreciated... Thanks in advance.... Ryan
Tight Lines
RyanWarden
Yakaholic
Yakaholic

Re: Having a tough time deciding....

Post by RyanWarden »

In case my reference wasn't very descriptive I'm speaking of the lighthouse road that is south of st marks. Where I believe the St marks and east river come together into the gulf
Tight Lines
Fishbaitbilly
Yaking Monster
Yaking Monster

Post by Fishbaitbilly »

Hi RyanWarden! There is a lot of very good fishing around the lighthouse. Read a few posts by Big Irish and you will learn a lot about the long bar right in front of the lighthouse. To the East of Long Bar there are good grass flats that usually hold trout. Continue East to Big Cove and Stoney Bayou where you can find flounder, redfish and trout. I generally launch at the dock by the saltwater boat ramp and take a right turn out of the canal toward East River. The many oyster bars between Steward Bayou and Pelican Point have produced some upper/over slot redfish for me as well as some big trout. last year a big tarpon that I was not fishing for came out of nowhere and nailed my poor one knocker near the point. Where ever you decide to fish, take lots of water with you and have fun!
RyanWarden
Yakaholic
Yakaholic

Post by RyanWarden »

Thanks man I appreciate the info and the read. I def am leaning towards trying lighthouse out. I'd be looking into heading west northwest across the river. Heard anything about that area?
Tight Lines