Scalloping from a kayak

Moderators: Talltails, LCallaghan, jsuber

Oldwoodenship

Scalloping from a kayak

Post by Oldwoodenship »

Hello all,
Can anyone recommend a decent place to go scalloping from a kayak? I fish out of St. Marks a lot, but the water has been pretty dark lately. I have not seen anyone scalloping out there within paddling distance of the launch site. I'd rather not paddle two to three miles to find clear water. If St. Joe were open to scalloping this year I'd probably go there. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Fishbaitbilly
Yaking Monster
Yaking Monster

Re: Scalloping from a kayak

Post by Fishbaitbilly »

According to people renting kayaks from us, the East flats from the lighthouse have been producing easy limits all week.
dkent53

Post by dkent53 »

Yes they are, went yesterday about 6 miles east of lighthouse and limited out and there was 8 of us, 6 newbies to scalloping. The newbies had a great time until it took us 4 hours of cleaning. Dinner was yum yum tho.
I'm not retired, just tired!
1MoreFish

Post by 1MoreFish »

My son and I had some luck at Lanark Village last summer. Put in at Connecticut St. and paddled about two miles east. A little murky that day, but there were scallops to be had. Some boats, but not too crowded. Don't see many reports from that area, so hard to say if there's anything to find this year.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.