New user, first post

Moderators: Talltails, LCallaghan, jsuber

SpiderHitch

New user, first post

Post by SpiderHitch »

Hey all,

Found this group through BigBendFishing and thought I'd come check it out to share in some experiences. I started fishing a lot after graduating from FSU in 2013 and working in Tallahassee. It didn't take many weeks of shore fishing before I decided to grab a used Heritage Redfish 12 to get out on the water.

At first I was using a lot of live bait, throwing a cast net, live wells, ect; very cumbersome. I started making a move towards DOA and Gulps, topwater plugs, and lipped trolling lures this year, spoons, and have been having relatively good success. I certainly prefer using artificial over managing a live well and storing a cast net in the hull.

So far I've familiarized myself with the Bottoms Rd/Levy Bay/ Piney Island area, haven't hit Wakulla Beach as much as I like, had good success at Hickory Mounds the 1 time I went, and have only been blown around the Lighthouse area. Last few weeks I've been putting in off 98 at Lanark and have been finding the trout pretty consistently with right bottom and tide flow. I've caught a grand total of 1 bass (on the troll...) at Talquin in 5 or 6 trips; I much prefer inshore fishing and have little idea what I'm doing in freshwater.

The kayak is rigged with a single scotty, 2 flush mounts, and a decaying trolley system. In the future I'm looking to upgrade to an elevated seat, maybe dual anchor trolleys, rocket launchers for the flush rod holders, putting together a crate possible?, and a Stake out pole? I've been trying various anchoring methods and currently have almost given up on it. The folding anchors don't seem to hold for me, maybe not enough line, but I've been using a big Danforth anchor and it's heavy. I've considered lighting systems, but I don't think I'll be caught in the dark too often at this point. I think an updated solid trolley system and parking pole would be worth a try.

The kayak pretty much lives on top of my VW, I take it out a few times a week. I'm always down to meet new paddlers and learn new techniques of kayak fishing. The beauty of kayaking is how economical it is to get out and play on the water, so I do it as often as I have the time.

Looking forward to reading and posting reports and experiences!
bigboots
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Re: New user, first post

Post by bigboots »

Welcome aboard.Check with The Wilderness Way for your anchor trolley and other upgrades.Good knowledgeable folks and they will take care of anything you need.
Fishbaitbilly
Yaking Monster
Yaking Monster

Post by Fishbaitbilly »

Hi SpiderHitch! You are certainly doing all the right stuff so far. There are about a zillion great places to fish in this area. Try the lighthouse again when the wind lays down, I have done well there on occasion. HM is still closed, unfortunately, but you still have lots of options. Like bigboots said, stop by The Wilderness Way and check out some of the rigged boats there and maybe get some ideas. PM jUP 561. He is an FSU guy and knows how to get on the fish. Good Luck!
kikstand454
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by kikstand454 »

Welcome aboard!

Sounds like you're figuring it all out!

I personally gave up on even carrying an anchor in our area after my first year of dragging one around.
I have an 8' stake out pole, and if that won't hold me, I'm too deep. But then I rarely fish in more than 4' of water....if that!

Talquin can be a bugger to consistently catch bass on.......even with a bass boat! If that's the lake closest to you, pm me and I'll help ya out a bit. Lots of great freshwater in our area for kayaks.....jackson, wakulla river, st Mark's, ecofina, miccosukee, iammonia, ocklocknee river..piney z. Etc. There are GREAT bass fishermen (and women) on this site to garner knowledge from if you wish to pursue the green trout. Lol.

Tight line! Hope to meet ya out there soon!

:A1
WannaDoDat
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by WannaDoDat »

Hey, great stuff, SpiderHitch! Sounds like you're having a great time figuring it all out. We sure are lucky to live in an area with so much diversity. As often as I get out there are still so many places to discover. Both salt and fresh.

Jean