Fishin' Alone

Moderators: Talltails, LCallaghan, jsuber

i_brew_it
Yaking Monster
Yaking Monster

Re: Fishin' Alone

Post by i_brew_it »

I never fish alone...at least from the sound of it. I'm always talking to myself. :20
Keg: Saison
Keg: Black Pepper Saison
capncrunch
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by capncrunch »

Here’s a contradiction Shallowminded, fighting a tarpon. You can’t convey the experience in writing. You can’t capture the colors, sights and sounds on video. Pictures don’t describe the size of these beasts. When someone hooks up, it’s all about teamwork. Regardless of whose pinfish was the unluckiest, everybody works toward landing it. That’s why when I saw you out at Lanark over the summer. I was satisfied. Someone to share the experience.
bk
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by bk »

Disney World sucks if you're the only one in the park. bk comedy aside, there are times i fish alone, but most of the time i prefer company. Several reasons.
1. Safety in numbers. (and like littoral said, you end up fishing apart anyhow)
2. I enjoy the company of others.
3. Wannado is great company (and she always has food, drinks, a camera, extra lures, stories, and a huge smile!)
4. See number 3.
"i said flotation is groovy and easy. Even a jellyfish would agree to that." - jimi
Panacea_M
Yaking Monster
Yaking Monster

Fishin' Alone

Post by Panacea_M »

What Brad said...WDD makes some serious sandwiches. I have only fished alone a time or two and to me it was strange and less enjoyable. I did find my patience was much greater and I tended to just sit back and relax a little more, however.
Good thread, shallowminded!
I could use a dog from the hair that bit me.
marlindoc
Yaking Monster
Yaking Monster

Post by marlindoc »

Will you take me fishing? :D lol I too, have more success and enjoy the tranquility of being alone on the water.
BigIrish
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by BigIrish »

i_brew_it wrote:I never fish alone...at least from the sound of it. I'm always talking to myself. :20
I have 3 or 4 videos where I just let the camera run until it was full and I was surprised by :
1. How many fish/tail swirls I did not remember seeing and I did not react to.
2. Who was I talking to? I sounded like Tred Barta for goodness sakes. :lol:
BloodyChamp
Yak Daddy
Yak Daddy

Post by BloodyChamp »

There are times and places for fishing alone, with 1, with a few and with several.

I usually fish by myself because I'm a hardcore river fisherman. I can't tell you how many people I know who have pouted, cried and complained about yellowflies, doing a little paddling, going over a few logs etc when I take them fishing. If that's not your thing fine but I'm sure you don't need me to explain the type - the I'm the roughest toughest country boy ever type just watch and see I'll catch the most...then they turn into a girl when something like yellowflies or heat come along on the fishing trip. I mean...ugh.
garydroze
Yak Daddy
Yak Daddy

Post by garydroze »

Since you said "...then they turn into a girl.." I guess I'm safe in presuming you have not met Wannado, or my wife (who has run marathons, and often comes home bloody from her adventures as a special ed teacher), or any of the cross-country running girls I coach who can keep up with me in muddy tidal creeks.

The only folks who totally crapped out on me during wadefishing treks through tough bogs and salt marsh were those sporting the XY chromosome.
BloodyChamp
Yak Daddy
Yak Daddy

Post by BloodyChamp »

Since you said "...my wife (who has run marathons, and often comes home bloody from her adventures as a special ed teacher)" I guess I'm safe in presuming something politically incorrect about that......see how annoying that is. Lighten up dude.
CharlesDad
Yakaholic
Yakaholic

Post by CharlesDad »

What bk said. Safety, sharing experiences, don't know about sandwiches but I'm sure they are good. One of the old time outdoor writers, might have been Ted Trueblood in Field and Stream, had an article about choosing a hunting-fishing partner. Don't remember all the details but it said it is very difficult to choose the right partner but very rewarding when you do.