Christmas gift ideas?

Moderators: LCallaghan, jsuber

BackCast
Yaking Monster
Yaking Monster

Christmas gift ideas?

Post by BackCast »

I'm trying to come up with some gift ideas for my wife. She isn't a person who appreciates a massage or a day at the spa but she does enjoy kayaking. She already has her own kayak and she won't even consider trading in her old Cabelas life jacket for a newfangled inflatable one. Not too much into fishing although she does haul along her Zebco 33 rigged with a popping cork and Gulp Shrimp so she can make a couple casts anytime I get a hit. And no, she doesn't want to replace her cheap old rig for a nicer spinning outfit (that she feels were engineered upside down). Her idea of a good day is paddling out to a sandbar and enjoying a bottle of wine. An even better day adds an eagle or dolphin sighting to the sandbar/wine, and heaven requires a manatee or sea turtle sighting. I've already ordered her a Columbia breast cancer survivor pink fishing shirt along with a similar hoodie version of it. She does like to scallop but what more do you need than a mask, snorkel and bag?

Any thoughts? She was thoughtful enough to agree to swapping out our lot near the beach for the one I wanted with a kayak ramp on the bay. Seems like I should get her something other than a shirt and a bottle of Boone's Farm. 8O
jsuber
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Christmas gift ideas?

Post by jsuber »

Ask her what she wants!
Jeff Suber

¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>

2022 Hobie Pro Angler 14
2019 Hobie Outback
Malone Trailer
Penn Battle III
Bone One-Knocker and Gold ADL spoon
WannaDoDat
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by WannaDoDat »

I like her idea of simplicity. For the scalloping you also do you need a dive down flag and that could be presented with a great deal of panache and creative wrapping LOL

Maybe a great pair of polarized sunglasses to be better able to see those critters underwater that she loves. Part of my recent prize package for bass fishing was a pair of Smith polarized glasses and they are really wonderful. I previously used the $5 to $10 Walmart brand so these Smiths are like night and day.

Might want to upgrade the Boone's Farm to a nice Cabernet or Pinot. :wink:

I love my kayak-sized Polar Bear cooler to keep the beverages cold and sandwiches fresh all day.

I fish year round and in many types of weather. Even if she's not into fishing and is more the designated photographer-nature watcher, having a lightweight waterproof breathable jacket makes those surprise showers bearable. The upgraded Frogg Toggs won't break the bank.

And if she's into electronics/gadgets does she have a waterproof camera of some sort? Or maybe a Go Pro? Along with those Smith glasses I also won a Dragonfly Pro 7 fishfinder/GPS that I really have no need for and a Go Pro and Nocqua battery charger which I'll soon be figuring out. I've never had these kinds of things in my life! Feeling pretty spiffy! :D

Jean
BackCast
Yaking Monster
Yaking Monster

Post by BackCast »

The last time I asked her about a gift she requested World Peace. Sounded reasonable to me but Costco was sold out and Amazon Prime suggested I call back after the holiday season. I don't belong to Sam's Club so that isn't an option.

Jean, a couple of items on your list are real possibilities. She had actually mentioned wanting another pair of polarized glasses and I caught her admiring someone's Yeti cooler. Thanks for the suggestions.
Shorewalker
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by Shorewalker »

Probably too late to the game but along the same lines The Olympus TG-3 / TG-4 is an actual camera that happens to be very well waterproofed, they are well received and on my list for someday.

Maybe a really nice beach chair or an ENO hammock plus Atlas straps?

Cordless or corded wet dry vacuum cleaner for scalloping (Sears, Dewalt or similar) for cleaning those scallops? If so partially diluted bleach will need to be run through after every use.

Some people like a dive skin for scalloping.

For a diver down flag again on the fancy side (aka $$), look at yak attak light pole with dive flag. They make the one piece and the breakdown version.
Orange Wildy Ride 135
Tan Hobie Pro Angler
Green Ocean Kayak Prowler Trident 15
Green/White Perception Tribe 9
cameron
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Post by cameron »

Nice waterproof binoculars?
salty gator
Yaking Monster
Yaking Monster

Post by salty gator »

cameron wrote:Nice waterproof binoculars?
Wow, a post from the elusive Cameron.. nice
You should have been here yesterday
cameron
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Post by cameron »

It has been YEARS. Hope to be more active again:)
jsuber
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jsuber »

If you want world peace then everything must die! Peace would only make humanity bored. Humanity needs controversy to survive. Just like the animal kingdom.
Jeff Suber

¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>

2022 Hobie Pro Angler 14
2019 Hobie Outback
Malone Trailer
Penn Battle III
Bone One-Knocker and Gold ADL spoon
salty gator
Yaking Monster
Yaking Monster

Post by salty gator »

cameron wrote:It has been YEARS. Hope to be more active again:)
You've had a lot on your plate, glad your back.

Mr S,, another gift idea for the wino( she probably has one already,but) . Wine aerater ( sits in your bottle and aerates as it pours or a neoprene wine bottle carrier/ cooler. But good polarized glasses or nice bino's are much better gifts.
salty gator
Yaking Monster
Yaking Monster

Post by salty gator »

jsuber wrote:If you want world peace then everything must die! Peace would only make humanity bored. Humanity needs controversy to survive. Just like the animal kingdom.
Dang 8O
BackCast
Yaking Monster
Yaking Monster

Post by BackCast »

I really like the idea of waterproof binoculars. That's something I had never considered but she's constantly asking if the thing on the horizon is a bird or dolphin, etc. Gotta check into those.

The wine carrier arrived yesterday. Great minds thinking alike!

I just realized that we have an anniversary coming up before Christmas so I suppose I should upgrade from the Boone's Farm. 41 years isn't a big one is it?

World peace would be easy if everybody just acknowledged that I'm right and do what I say. Others may disagree but they'd be wrong.