Wakulla Beach 6-20 newbie experience

Moderators: Talltails, LCallaghan, jsuber

FlaGal

Wakulla Beach 6-20 newbie experience

Post by FlaGal »

Dropped the kayak seats in the yard trying to carry all the stuff to the car & forgot to go back for them. At least we had a towel each to sit on. On the way there, poured over half my shrimp bait water into my designer purse soaking everything inside. Fell in the water trying to board kayak landing on bad knee. Once on the water & rigging leader (which I should have done before we left), cut same leader off the line trying to trim it & had to start over. This while paddling trying not to be blown into the grasses. Seemed like hurricane force winds. Never stopped paddling the whole time. Yeah, forgot the anchors too. Was able to cast my new lure once but unable to bring it in until we got back to shore. I did catch a catfish, did not know he was on the line until I noticed my line had moved in the opposite direction. With all this happening my son managed to catch two fish, one a real nice size speckled fish and a monster red that bent the hook & escaped before I could snap pic. Had the camera out & zoomed in but not quick enough to capture it :( Surprised I didn't drop the camera in the water. After all that still I can hardly wait to go back again!!!!!!!!!
bk
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Re: Wakulla Beach 6-20 newbie experience

Post by bk »

Great read. Most of us have had similar days when starting out. Awesome attitude about wanting to get back out.
Last edited by bk on Sun Jun 21, 2015 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"i said flotation is groovy and easy. Even a jellyfish would agree to that." - jimi
RyanWarden
Yakaholic
Yakaholic

Post by RyanWarden »

Glory days!! as BK said we have all had our share of doomed days.. but there was several poitives. You didn't get skunked and your son probably had one hell of a time. Great report even if there were a few misfortunes.
Tight Lines
Fishbaitbilly
Yaking Monster
Yaking Monster

Post by Fishbaitbilly »

Typical day for me. You just did a better job of describing it. Glad you got out there!
WannaDoDat
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by WannaDoDat »

If we didn't have kerfuffles and whoopsies how on earth would we really appreciate the smooth and stellar days? Some of us are just better at expressing the humor and humility of it all. You've got that part down pat. :D

Those exasperating days can sure be learning tools. Just ask bk. He's got a whole folder full of his "trouble with trebles" pictures attesting to that! He became an expert extractor of impalements out of sheer necessity . :lol:

Thanks for sharing your adventure.

Jean
bigboots
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Post by bigboots »

Welcome aboard .
BackCast
Yaking Monster
Yaking Monster

Post by BackCast »

Sorry to hear about the bad knee. Other than that it sounds like an exciting day on the water, which is far better than a boring day at work. Thanks for sharing.
SRAces
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Post by SRAces »

Thanks for sharing. Agree with the "great read" comments. I'm sure all of us have had one of those days! :D
Steve Stubbs
USAF (retired)
Lake Park, GA

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador
2018 Hobie Compass - Seagrass
2015 Hobie Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
luceror
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Post by luceror »

Nice report and good read.Way to hang in there!I'd say u have been properly initiated!!I If u don't carry a spare paddle make sure UV got ur anchor!!
GoodCall
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Post by GoodCall »

Nice report. Some days are just doomed from the start. Nice work on the big red for your son!