8/1/15

Moderators: Talltails, LCallaghan, jsuber

bk
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

8/1/15

Post by bk »

Joined up with Ms. Wannadodat at first light to help spread the glow. Crazy weather on the drive from town left a doubt about actually getting to fish this morning. But even with rumbles and flashes lighting the sky, we decide to launch.

Tide was falling hard and the fish were feeding on the bait as it was forced to evacuate the protection of the grasses. I Ended the morning with catching and releasing just shy of a dozen reds. Most mid slots, one under, 2 over. All but one of the fish I caught were on a rapala 09 size skitterpop. Most fish were close to the grass edges and were in 24" or less of water. Muddy and stained. Once the sun broke thru the clouds, the bite was done. We enjoyed an adult beverage and slowly paddled to the hill.

Congrats to wannado on her fabulous catches and her hard earned slam. I'll let her tell her story. Thanks for the invite jean. It felt great to hit the salt after a month off. Let's do it again!

A sampling. By the way, not a single trout today.

Ambitious fella!!

Lures tried.

Thanks again jean!
"i said flotation is groovy and easy. Even a jellyfish would agree to that." - jimi
Yakmanjr
Yak Daddy
Yak Daddy

Re: 8/1/15

Post by Yakmanjr »

Hell of a day I'd say. I dream of days like that with so many reds. Shamed to say I haven't hit the salt since early March. My yak has even called me twice to ask where the heck I've been lol. Congrats on the productive day!
Edwade
Yak Daddy
Yak Daddy

Post by Edwade »

Great day BK! I fretted over the weather reports, and passed. I wish I'd gone! Beautiful reds. And thanks for sharing the bait intel. I'm guessing Jean may have caught one or two herself!
Tie1on

Post by Tie1on »

Thanks for posting. I always enjoy reading and learning from your posts.
SRAces
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Post by SRAces »

Nice report and pictures Brad! :D
Steve Stubbs
USAF (retired)
Lake Park, GA

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador
2018 Hobie Compass - Seagrass
2015 Hobie Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
Baja Bob
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Post by Baja Bob »

Looks like Fun
fishinbug
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by fishinbug »

It's good to read that you are back into the salt, bk. Those are some pretty reds.
"It's not as easy as I make it look."
---thus sayeth the suber
WannaDoDat
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by WannaDoDat »

It sure did feel good to be back at the salt after a long hiatus. And what a great morning it turned out to be despite the trepidation of the morning downpours and lightning in the distance.

My hat is off to you, oh great fishing buddy! Those reds are really magnificent. It never ceases to amaze me the size of those redfish in the shallow muddy creek's. In just inches of water.

My first redfish came on a skitterwalk that leapt out of the water to grab the lure. Next up was a flounder that slammed a jig and paddletail. Then a hefty dark red on a gold spoon that finally hit it after I stopped with the subtle slow retrieve and sped it up! Wham! Same thing with the popper. I had tried to be subtle and quiet since I was in a very shallow water. but got no love from it until I saw how BK was working his popper aggressively. So I changed my tactics to be more assertive and that did the trick! (mine was the Pico L'il Pop... Thanks for the nice gift from years ago, Shorewalker! And thanks, bk, for dressing it with new hooks and tail! :D )

My slam was completed when a tiny lady fish smashed the Skitterwalk that was half her size. :P
Not a trout to be found. They must be saving themselves for our next trip. :lol:

Was hoping to post some pictures but I'm currently wrestling with Photo Bucket and my password. :?

Congrats on all those awesome reds, brad! And thank you for the invite yesterday and this morning's freshwater trip! A ton of memorable fun!!

Jean
fishshooter99
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Post by fishshooter99 »

What an awesome morning. It's funny how sometimes the worst looking days end up being the best. Congrats BK and WannaDoDat!
Expatriate Floridian living in the "Land of the Ice and Snow" that is Atlanta.
Gary
bk
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by bk »

Thank you everyone for the kind replies. P.s. Found a great way to clean the salt off the yak....

Tight lines
"i said flotation is groovy and easy. Even a jellyfish would agree to that." - jimi
fishinbug
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by fishinbug »

Now you're rubbing it in, bk. :lol:
"It's not as easy as I make it look."
---thus sayeth the suber
bigboots
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Post by bigboots »

Thanks for the great report and pictures.
GoodCall
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Post by GoodCall »

awesome report and pics, as always Brad. :A1
salty gator
Yaking Monster
Yaking Monster

Post by salty gator »

Nice work y'all