Deep Creek in St Marks Refuge

Moderators: Talltails, LCallaghan, jsuber

garydroze
Yak Daddy
Yak Daddy

Deep Creek in St Marks Refuge

Post by garydroze »

I've been completely skunked on trout the last few weeks in my go-to St Marks Refuge Creeks, but decided to take a chance on Deep Creek today. Biked 3 miles from Lighthouse Road, then waded less than a mile from the levee to an obvious intersection. Caught the last hour of outgoing tide around 2pm. Water was a bit tainted due to constant afternoon showers, but not muddy. Freelined finger mullet into the mild current without much confidence...

Whee! Three trout in three casts. First was just under slot; next two went 17" and 19". Left after that, so as not to jinx the spot for this weekend. Confirmation that even with bathtub water temps in the creeks, a bit of current and a mild breeze to chop up the surface may create just enough temperature break to bring the summer trout into the creeks that typically hold numbers only in spring and fall. (I say that as if I know what I'm talking about). It helps that a few small, cool springs pop up in the levee canals that empty into Deep Creek, so it's a few degrees cooler than neighboring streams.

Making trout ceviche tonight, that even my non fish-eating members of the Maclay School cross-country team will gobble up after Monday practice.
luceror
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Re: Deep Creek in St Marks Refuge

Post by luceror »

Your report should be an episode on" how to do fl".good stuff.!!I see u take yr fshg quite seriously. Nicely done!
Baja Bob
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Post by Baja Bob »

Cool biking and fishing two of my favorite things to do. It's so damn hot.
abcarias
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Post by abcarias »

Did that creek several years ago and had an exceptional red fish day as the tide came in. We had a hard time getting back as we stayed too long on a strong tide. Not sure I'd do it again but glad I did it once. Good report!
><}}}> BeanBagSteve <{{{><
RockyG
Yak Daddy
Yak Daddy

Post by RockyG »

"Waded less than a mile from the levee"......not paddled......waded. You are the man GD.

I have also been unable to even buy a trout the last couple of weeks in the same general area. Glad you found a few. Leave a couple for the rest of us. :-)
garydroze
Yak Daddy
Yak Daddy

Post by garydroze »

Exact same pattern in Deep Creek worked again today - three slot trout in first three casts, then I slogged back - but I must say the 107 degree heat index made it a much tougher chore. I went out there after running a 5 mile cross-country race in Tally this morning. Literally drank 1/2 gallon of water while driving down to the refuge, but still lost 5 pounds of sweat weight while biking and wading between 2-5pm. All the bank anglers I chatted with were saying it was the hottest day down there so far this year.

October cannot get here soon enough for me!

By the way, the canals down there are filled with finger mullet right now. Jacuzzi water temps have not yet sent them packing. That said, Deep Creek is the only one of my favorite creeks at the refuge that seems to be holding trout. Stoney Bayou has been a bust for me last three weeks.
garydroze
Yak Daddy
Yak Daddy

Post by garydroze »

Bummer for those of you who don't pay attention to this thread. Went right back to the same spot and got a 16" and 22" trout on consecutive casts in exactly the same spot as last two days. This repeated success has never happened before for me, so it must be and End of the World sign. Meaning...

Blow off work and go fishing ASAP!
OneTripletail
Yakaholic
Yakaholic

Post by OneTripletail »

Great Post Gary. I've been having a lot of success the past couple of weekends at Levy Bay with reds, no trout. Looking at the maps, there is not an easy way to get there by Kayak unless we want to paddle the 5-5.5 miles (from lighthouse) to the creek and head up. I don't think my 11 year old fishing partner would enjoy that paddle up and back. We have a mnt bikes but no way to transport yaks. Is the hike down from the road suitable for an 11 year old or do I have to worry about him being gator bait?

Thanks for your post, I always enjoy reading them.
RockyG
Yak Daddy
Yak Daddy

Post by RockyG »

I have all the respect in the world for Gary......but I would not take a child back there, miles down that dike, dragging a fishing yak, and launching in the mud.

I fish that area a LOT. (in my Gheenoe LT-25) I have had to use my push pole to fend BIG gators off my hooked fish. I have seen 2 Diamondback rattlers that were at least 6 ' long swimming in the creek. I won't even mention the big sharks I see back there every trip. Gary wades thru the head high Spartia Grass and knee deep mud like it's nothing. Unless your 11 year old is often confused for a Navy Seal I believe you both will have a better time in a more "improved and accessible" yak launch location.

Nobody is catching any Trout. It's not you or where you are fishing.

We were speculating this weekend while we fished that area as to the size of the life insurance policy Gary's wife surely must hold on him. :lol:
garydroze
Yak Daddy
Yak Daddy

Post by garydroze »

Hey One Tripletail,
Methinks RockyG has added a dash of hyperbole to what wadefishing is like on Deep Creek. Trust me: I do not have a death wish. It's simply that Deep Creek contains just the right combo of features to make it worth trying on days when you feel like no other good options exist for tidal creek success.

That said...

Even though since I got married I have been far less risky in my exuberance off the levees (specific example: have not waded past chest deep since 2001), I must say that the conditions down there would give me pause about bringing a child. The gators in that stretch are pretty subdued in winter, but from late spring to early fall, you really need to be alert. The largest alligator I have ever seen (12ft+) lives in that creek, and it owns the long stretch between the two biggest bends. I nearly stepped on it two years ago; it was just hugging the bottom three feet from the bank, with an expectant grin. And while I've never seen a diamondback swimming there, they certainly populate the banks. You can't expect an 11 year-old to be mindful of every step. When I'm freelining finger mullet off a perfect sandbar dropoff halfway to the creek mouth (RockyG and SilverKing know the spot, for sure), I hafta visually sweep back and forth, like a lifeguard at a youth pool, because as soon as I hook a solid redfish, a gator is likely to compete for it. Beyond those nuisances, the heat index right now surpasses what I'd subject even a hardcore young fishing buddy to.

Yeah, I ended that last sentence with a preposition. Not a grammar sin anymore. Look it up.
OneTripletail
Yakaholic
Yakaholic

Post by OneTripletail »

Thank you both.....I figured that was the case, but had to ask. We will stick to Levy Bay, Bottoms road and the lighthouse. I may attempt the paddle one day without him from the LH when the tide is right. Here is my big man and a red he caught Sunday at levy. Boy loves to fish when he's not swimming.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.