8-23 Wakulla Beach

Moderators: Talltails, LCallaghan, jsuber

SRAces
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

8-23 Wakulla Beach

Post by SRAces »

Met BK (Brad) and Wannadodat (Jean) this morning shortly before 6:30am. It was my first time launching from this location. The water was almost glassy smooth at times and we fanned out in search of something worthwhile. Brad just fishes top water only and I tried a handful of top water, but no takers. Bait fish and activity was everywhere...just no solid bites.

I did manage to hook up 2 catfish at the same time while trolling with a gold spoon on one side and a silver spoon on the other. Ended up catching 6 catfish for the day. I ran into fishrcutbate (Geno) and chatted with him for a little while. Ended up catching the largest of my 2 reds off a gold spoon in the same general area that Geno was in.

The second red came about an hour later off the same gold spoon. Decided around noon that 6 hours in the heat was enough and figured I would troll to the beach. Something hit my gold spoon and the line literally ripped off the spool! I grabbed the rod out of the holder and figured I would tighten the drag just slightly as almost 150 yards had reeled off and I was getting close to my mono backing. At that point the line went limp and you knew it snapped.

Upon reeling all the line in, the leader had snapped towards the spoon end. Never saw what hit it as it did not breach. Oh well, it got my attention! :mrgreen:

Brad and Jean...thanks for meeting me this morning. Glad to put faces with names!

Steve

Steve Stubbs
USAF (retired)
Lake Park, GA

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador
2018 Hobie Compass - Seagrass
2015 Hobie Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
bk
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Re: 8-23 Wakulla Beach

Post by bk »

Great stuff, Steve, and great meeting you as well. Wish we could've spent some more time socializing and less time sweating. I felt badly heading up that creek early and losing the rest of you. Jean eventually found me but I didn't find yakmanjr when I came out. Sorry yakmanjr. Hope you did well, and it was nice meeting you also.

Good going with your catching, Steve. Sounds like you'd did quite well for yourself, not knowing the area and all.

It was a bit on the slow side for me. Tides weren't ideal and the temps were set to broil (if not "self clean"). I found some fish in the creeks, but nothing much in terms of size. I did have a 6' bull shark make a failed attempt at a spook jr way up a creek. (Side note, saw quite a few sharks in the shallow creeks today, as well as an aggressive decent sized alligator.). Also had what I think could've been a tarpon dispossess me of a bone she dog.

I finally came out of the creeks at 9:30. And as wannado handed me an adult beverage I decided to chill and tie on on a sub surface lure for shits and giggles. First cast, catfish. Shortly thereafter, a decent trout. Gotta love the 9:30am suds. Lol

Again, great meeting you Steve and yakmanjr. And thank you jean for the "in flight" meal.
"i said flotation is groovy and easy. Even a jellyfish would agree to that." - jimi
Yakmanjr
Yak Daddy
Yak Daddy

Post by Yakmanjr »

Nice pics Steve, and although we never officially introduced ourselves, I was the guy following y'all around like a lost puppy haha. Brad thank you so much for the invite and showing me the ropes. Jean it was a pleasure meeting you as well. Although I have no picture worthy fish to share, I was able to get the skunk off the boat with a catfish on an aqua dream spoon. Unfortunately had to head back earlier than planned but I'm looking foward to giving Wakulla Beach another try. Thanks again everyone.
WannaDoDat
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by WannaDoDat »

Way to go on the reds and sailcat, Steve! Not sure what spooled you but I had a similar incident happen to me. On the paddle back to the ramp I tossed out a jig and paddletail to troll. Something immediately picked it up and took off with such force that it spooled my line and fortunately broke off at the leader. Never saw it but it was strong and fast! Definitely saw my share of sharks out there. And whatever grabbed brad's she-dog was huge! Saw the tail end explosion and swirl. 8O

I ended up with a slam (of sorts) redfish, lady fish, sail cat.

It was a quick introduction in the dark of the launch but nice to meet you, SRAces and yakmanjr! Thanks for the invite, bk! You're welcome for the "in flight meal" :lol: and 9:30am suds. That works out to be about noontime when your day starts at 4:30am. :A1 Congrats on that big old trout gal! She was a beauty!

Jean
fishinbug
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by fishinbug »

The "Breakfast of Champions" :lol:
"It's not as easy as I make it look."
---thus sayeth the suber
SRAces
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Post by SRAces »

Brad,

Maybe next time we can socialize more...lol! I was in fishing mode, so I was scouring the whole area for something to feel a tug with. I did catch a few really large sailcats. The one I posted was the smallest of the 6. I liked the launch area. No creek mud to worry about! :D

Next time we'll plan a get together break at some point at a designated spot. Yakmanjr...thanks for coming out. If you ever see a Papaya yellow Pro Angler with decals down the side and some old guy in it...that would be me. Feel free to swing by and say hello. :D

Steve
Steve Stubbs
USAF (retired)
Lake Park, GA

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador
2018 Hobie Compass - Seagrass
2015 Hobie Pro Angler 14 - Papaya