Bottoms Rd - 9/7

Moderators: Talltails, LCallaghan, jsuber

Dutch

Bottoms Rd - 9/7

Post by Dutch »

Decided to take a chance with the weather on Monday. In hindsight, I should have looked at the weather forecast for Panacea instead of Tallahassee and perhaps just stayed home and cut the grass. No chance of rain for Tallahassee on Monday. So, I headed to Bottoms road since I haven't fished there before and wanted to go cruise around and learn the area. A scouting trip if you will. On the way down I saw a flash from the south and checked the radar. There was a lot of rain well offshore and it didn't appear to be headed north so I kept going.
It was very cloudy with a east wind was blowing at the launch and it only got worse as the sun came up. The northern bank along the cut was loaded with mullet. I had planned to fish the creeks/pools on the east side. As I rounded fiddler point I was faced with 1 1/2 ft. white caps and a somewhat crossing headwind. This made for a hard paddle north but I made it to the second pool and went in to take a look around. Within 30 minutes, I watched one of my new spoons on a stunning (at least I thought so) long distance cast with no line attached to it. Hmmm. . . Making a note of the location it landed, I grabbed another rod and went back to the top water. There was a lot of bait but nothing of any size around that wanted what I was selling. I eventually made my way over to the location of the spoon and of course couldn't see the bottom. Around 9:30 it started sprinkling. The radar showed the big storm that was well offshore was on top of me and coming fast. Back to the launch. I stopped between fiddler point and the launch since it never rained any harder and decided to fish. I was already wet. . . A couple of guys in a boat by me were using live mud minnows and cut bait. I sat there for over an hour watching them pull in spanish, reds, and flounder before I got tired of the show. All I had was shrimp and I was only feeding them those. I left there a little after 12:00 with the skies clearing and the wind still howling. Noticing a lot of bait in the creeks along the road, I decided to load up with the cast net for an evening outing.
I scouted around the area a while and headed over to Levy Bay to see what was going on over there. There were whitecaps across the bay and the tide was falling fast. While walking down the launch to get fresh water for my live bait I slipped and landed REAL hard right on my shoulder blades with my bait flying everywhere. Once I got up, I gathered my bait (with fresh water) and headed for somewhere else.
I ended up fishing the pools along bottoms road and got a good look at where the bars are in them with the negative low at 6PM. When the wind died down I fished the cut until dark. All in all, a good scouting mission other than the fall. When the weather is better, I'll be back there.
bk
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Re: Bottoms Rd - 9/7

Post by bk »

Hope your shoulders heal up quickly. These ramps can be slippery.
"i said flotation is groovy and easy. Even a jellyfish would agree to that." - jimi
WannaDoDat
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Re: Bottoms Rd - 9/7

Post by WannaDoDat »

I like your attitude!
Thanks for an awesome report!

Jean