9/16/15 Levy Bay

Moderators: Talltails, LCallaghan, jsuber

NJSWalker
Baitor
Baitor

9/16/15 Levy Bay

Post by NJSWalker »

With predicted rain and low tide at 10:30, I decided to go out on a whim I had at 7:45. Planned on going to Sun and Sand to check out the oyster beds, but when passing through Panacea saw the street sign for Levy Bay. Never put in there before, but had done Bottoms with some success. With 15/20 minutes left till I got to Alligator Point and the rain clouds gathering – I decided to turn around try out Levy. No envelopes or signs at the pay booth for parking, so I chanced it and put in with no payment around 9. Water was pretty choppy, wind was blowing, current emptying pretty quickly, and water fairly murky. Explored shorelines and creeks to the right of the landing. Depth mostly at around 8”. Saw a couple mullet jumping, but no schools. Did some schools of baitfish. Went with my favorite lure – bone spook. First cast had a blowup, but couldn’t get him to bite again. Ended up with one pup red. At slack I explored some more of the area. Came upon a cove with some real nice reds hit bait against the shoreline with their backs exposed, but couldn’t get anything more than one half-hearted hit on topwater… tried more of my lures on them for a bit over an hour with no success (spoon, jig, gulp). Frustrated, I eventually paddled over them to get a better look. 5-6 real nice reds making some large wake as I scared them away. Kept paddling the shoreline and found some more big reds up wind. Anchored off of them and threw my spook… Bam! Finally, got one interested! With nowhere to go except on shore or towards me, he lazily headed at me. I jumped out the boat to land him a little easier. He saw my kayak and took off to some semi-deeper water. Finally tired him out. 25”. Kept tossing lures, but no more success. Saw a tarpon rolling and threw a spoon at him hoping he wouldn’t bite with my 10# braid, but couldn’t help myself. Nothing. By this time the wind had died off and the sun was trying to cut through the clouds. Only had to deal with a very light, short drizzle. Drove away around noon. Good spontaneous morning trip despite the predicted weather.
Lizard Lick 14.5' Slayer
NJSWalker
Baitor
Baitor

Re: 9/16/15 Levy Bay

Post by NJSWalker »

image.jpg
image.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lizard Lick 14.5' Slayer
OneTripletail
Yakaholic
Yakaholic

Post by OneTripletail »

Nice reds, those two looked like they came from the same momma with twin spots. Nice.
luceror
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Post by luceror »

Good report.Good detail!Nice red!
bk
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by bk »

Good stuff. Lunar table didn't hold much for yesterday, today, or tomorrow. Could have something to do with the timid bite, so I wouldn't be discouraged about it. Nice yak.
"i said flotation is groovy and easy. Even a jellyfish would agree to that." - jimi
WannaDoDat
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by WannaDoDat »

Oftentimes those spontaneous trips are the most fun.
Way to go, Nick!

Jean