9-20

Moderators: Talltails, LCallaghan, jsuber

bk
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

9-20

Post by bk »

Jean and I Decided last minute to make a go of a morning trip, which usually has the potential for disaster. Something along the lines of forgotten paddle, speeding ticket, no beer. Etc. fortunately, the morning went well as far as that goes. The tide was flooded in when we arrived and the sun had yet to rise. We decided to head in one direction and didn't have a single hit for the first hour. Feeling like we should've zigged instead of zagging, we kept moving and changing up until we found what they wanted. Which, we eventually did. But I don't think it was a matter or lure selection or location. It was the tide. It didn't really start moving until about 9:30 and that's when the fish began to show themselves.

Still, I would consider it a rather slow morning even though I managed to catch and release 5 slot reds on top water. The fish were in 24" or less of mud water. Along grass lines and mud banks. Caught them on a gold skitterwalk, a black skitterwalk, and an h20 popper.

As the water emptied out of the creeks the fish became crazy active and were very aggressive. However, they wanted nothing to do with anything except what they were specifically feeding on. It was a bit frustrating having them hit all around us, but it was also amazing to witness it. I recall thinking to myself, "man, I'm sure glad I'm not a baitfish."

Here's some eye candy
(Photo credit on this one goes to jean)

So for those of you who are keeping track, today's in flight meal was a meatball sandwich, grapes, and a beer. Desert was home made cheesecake with fresh fruit.

Thank you jean the food, invite, and the company.
"i said flotation is groovy and easy. Even a jellyfish would agree to that." - jimi
luceror
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Re: 9-20

Post by luceror »

Thanks fr the report and pics.looks like a real pretty day!
bigboots
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Post by bigboots »

Thanks,bk.Another great day for you and Jean.
SRAces
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Post by SRAces »

Brad,

Another great report! :mrgreen: Thanks for posting!
Steve Stubbs
USAF (retired)
Lake Park, GA

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador
2018 Hobie Compass - Seagrass
2015 Hobie Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
Tie1on

Post by Tie1on »

Thanks for posting. Always enjoy your reports (and pics)!
WannaDoDat
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by WannaDoDat »

With my truck always loaded with fishing gear for both salt and fresh and my trusty Jackson Coosa HD strapped in for any adventurous opportunity, a late night last minute text to head to the coast instead of the lake was no problem! Brad knows that I fly by the seat of my kayak! :lol:

Thank you for always taking the time and effort to post up these wonderful reports and pictures!! Congratulations on your catches today. The fish sure made us work for it! My first topwater hit was at a pass in the creeks as the tide was falling out. "A big trout?", my buddy, who knows I've been wanting to catch a big trout queried. Ooooooooo!!!! :D
Nope. 'Twas a super large sailcat with a mustachioed wingspan the width of an osprey's reach! 8O Not a trout, but FUN!!!

bk sure nailed it about the alternating feelings of exasperation and sheer amazement in watching reds literally everywhere chasing small fry and shrimp in the shallows with such singleminded determination and non-stop feeding. These fish were chasing their food supply in racing swirls and explosions and nothing, including invading kayaks and strange lures of many shapes and sizes being thrown in the mix, could deter them from their mission!
When I noticed that the reds were chasing down the Skitterwalk as I finished walking the dog and reeling it in for the next cast, I switched up to a wake bait and PRESTO! I finally scored a nice red! (An H2o knock off of the Manns Minus One, in chartreuse)
The floor of my kayak was littered with the many different lures I tried to match what they were chasing: Skitterwalk large and small, numerous poppers, gold spoon, jig and paddletail, shrimp imitations, lipped jerkbaits. I even dug out some freshwater plastics. Brad definitely had them zoned in for most of the morning but those reds in the extreme shallows at the end were some tough customers! If we had been able to catch all that we saw it would have been insane!! I have not stopped pondering what may work next time.

So my hat is off to you, great friend! Well done! So glad we went on the much less windy of the two days. It was a blast being out there, as usual, but it's never ever the same!
Glad you enjoyed the in flight meal. You finally got your belated birthday cheesecake!
Back to PB&J's! LOL

Jean
bk
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by bk »

Thanks all! Here's a pic of jeans alien catfish.

"i said flotation is groovy and easy. Even a jellyfish would agree to that." - jimi
H_luciae
Yak Daddy
Yak Daddy

Post by H_luciae »

Sounds like you two had a grand time!!!! Hope to get out again soon and maybe run into the two of you out on the water.
cotton
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by cotton »

As always, great pics and report.
A better Kayaker today, than yesterday.
Red Hobie Revolution
Green Native Slayer 12
Sand Hobie Pro Angler 14