11-7

Moderators: Talltails, LCallaghan, jsuber

bk
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

11-7

Post by bk »

Joined up with the great wannado at WB at first light. Tide was low but starting to come in. Wind started out of the north and eventually turned to the forecasted ESE.
Long story short, I caught and released 7 reds and 1 trout before 9:30. And to top off the slam..... A barracuda, of all fish. Crazy. Not what you expect to find in a shallow muddy creek on a spook jr.

Caught all my fish on a black spook jr, a mullet colored spo7 rapala skitterpop, and a bomber minus-1 crank bait.
Some pics..

And to top off the wonderful morning, wannado provided a wonderful in-flight meal consisting of grapes, belvita crackers, a chicken salad sandwich on oatmeal bread, and a couple Sierra Nevada pale ales. Thanks Jean for yet another fabulous outing.
"i said flotation is groovy and easy. Even a jellyfish would agree to that." - jimi
WannaDoDat
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Re: 11-7

Post by WannaDoDat »

And what an outing it was!! I can still hear the topwater explosions from across the creek where you were fishing and the ones in front of me. Your trout's hit was particularly satisfying!
Thank you for paddling over to take a picture of one of my reds and the trout. They decided to make a quick exit before their portrait time. :lol:

Crabs hiding in mudbank nooks and crannies, wonderfully strange catches like your barracuda, an amazing assortment of birds like ibis, cormorants, herons, harrier hawks, kingfishers, and a floating island of thousands of ducks that then took off like a frantic magic carpet! The creeks and it's creatures were absolutely beautiful today!

You captured it! Even the "making bubbles" beside the yak. Always a trail left behind from working the surfaces lures.

I needed this adventure. I thank you! Can't wait to go again!

Jean
bigboots
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Post by bigboots »

Another great trip for you two.Sweet pics.
Fishbaitbilly
Yaking Monster
Yaking Monster

Post by Fishbaitbilly »

Awesome, BK! Who woulda' thunk it? A barracuda? That is sooo cool! I have never seen anything like that around here. Very impressive!
Tie1on

Post by Tie1on »

Looks like fun. Enjoyed reading your report!
fishshooter99
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Post by fishshooter99 »

Every time I see a report like this I realize how bad I am at taking pictures! Excellent report with great pictures. That's crazy catching a barracuda on the flats of the panhandle. Do folks catch them often offshore in that part of Florida? Down in central and south Florida I've seen and caught quite a few, but never on the flats in FCKA stomping grounds.
Expatriate Floridian living in the "Land of the Ice and Snow" that is Atlanta.
Gary
thefishindude

Post by thefishindude »

Some very nice fish on a very nice day!
bk
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by bk »

Gary, there are supposedly some giant barracudas off shore, 20 or 30 miles out, around the towers. Crazy thing is, this cuda wasn't out there. It wasn't even on the flats. It was up a muddy, shallow creek.

Thing hit a spook jr and swam at me like a rocket. It's flipping around in the yak and I'm just watching all the dental work on that fish. It sure made a quick mess of my fluoro leader and braid. I had to re-tie afterwards.

Though not a big one, it sure makes me wonder where it's parents are.
"i said flotation is groovy and easy. Even a jellyfish would agree to that." - jimi
Littoral
Founder
Founder

Post by Littoral »

Cuda a bit crazy but I have heard about a few more in Apalach -my new digs these days. Really interesting.
BackCast
Yaking Monster
Yaking Monster

Post by BackCast »

And here I thought I was having fun doctoring for bronchitis while my eyes heal following cataract surgery!

Nice PE. A great day on the water is better than, well, practically anything. Thanks for sharing.
WannaDoDat
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by WannaDoDat »

BackCast wrote:And here I thought I was having fun doctoring for bronchitis while my eyes heal following cataract surgery!

Nice PE. A great day on the water is better than, well, practically anything. Thanks for sharing.

Yikes!! Speedy healing!! Hope you're back to par soon!

Jean