January

Moderators: Talltails, LCallaghan, jsuber

bk
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

January

Post by bk »

January. Not my favorite fishing time of year. Not because you can't catch fish this time of year (you can actually catch piles of fish), but because it's harder to catch them how I prefer to catch them. Which is topwater. This time of year I find myself throwing sub surface twitch baits, like the lucky craft pointer or the mirro lure catch 2000 jr. I also have a great deal of succes in winter months with the sub-surface fly assortment. Still would rather catch them up top.

I tend to find that the fish seek out the warmer waters and the bait this time of year. So find both, and you find the fish. Rippled water is cooler than slick water. Shallow mud flats warm up quicker.

Here are some lures I've found some success with in January.

And here are some photos of some of the fish from the last trip or two.

And here's some of what it's really about.

And, one of what it's really really about.

Tight lines to all.
"i said flotation is groovy and easy. Even a jellyfish would agree to that." - jimi
fishinbug
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Re: January

Post by fishinbug »

Thank you, bk and WannaDoDat. I'm close to being salt water certified again. It's good that you continue to share your trips. It gives me a goal.

:D
"It's not as easy as I make it look."
---thus sayeth the suber
WannaDoDat
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by WannaDoDat »

Beautifully done, bk! Love that mud flat selfie!

Thanks for the tips and lure suggestions of what works for you. Glad to see that you still get your fix from some great topwater catches but also on the suspending lures and your homemade flies. Way to mix it up and keep 'em on their toes!

A wonderful assortment of stunning pictures! Especially that last fuzzy one. Who is that mythical, mystical enigma??? :lol:

I was thrilled when that red hit the Fat Boy. First time using it and figured it might work after the reds hit the Skitterwalk after walking the dog to get their attention and then quietly dragging it a bit. They couldn't resist.

Thanks for all the really, really fun adventures! :D

Jean
WannaDoDat
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by WannaDoDat »

fishinbug wrote:Thank you, bk and WannaDoDat. I'm close to being salt water certified again. It's good that you continue to share your trips. It gives me a goal.

:D
Great to hear, Nicholas!!!! :D
bigboots
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Post by bigboots »

Great report.
Edwade
Yak Daddy
Yak Daddy

Post by Edwade »

Thanks for sharing bk. great stuff!
fishshooter99
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Post by fishshooter99 »

Great report and great pictures. Thanks for sharing.
Expatriate Floridian living in the "Land of the Ice and Snow" that is Atlanta.
Gary
Fishbaitbilly
Yaking Monster
Yaking Monster

Post by Fishbaitbilly »

Awesome, as always, Brad! Do you use the fly rod in the winter also? Love the WDD photo! She is always warm and fuzzy. What kind of paddle are you using with the tan handle?
bk
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by bk »

Fishbaitbilly wrote:Awesome, as always, Brad! Do you use the fly rod in the winter also? Love the WDD photo! She is always warm and fuzzy. What kind of paddle are you using with the tan handle?
Thank you all for the replies.

Fbb. Great questions. I typically bring 2 rods when I fish. I have always felt that the less clutter, the less chance of Sh*t going bad. So 1 of the rods is conventional, and 1 is the fly. Even in winter. The difference in the winter is the type of fly. - tends to be sub surface rather than topwater.

As for the paddle I use. It is a Carlisle expedition. It's been an absolute work horse for me. It's going on 7 years old with not a single issue. Prior to that I had 2 Werner paddles and 2 hobie paddles. All of which broke at the midpoint, due to the one-arm paddle technique.
"i said flotation is groovy and easy. Even a jellyfish would agree to that." - jimi
fishinbug
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by fishinbug »

bk wrote: All of which broke at the midpoint, due to the one-arm paddle technique.
Ole 'Lefty' taught you that didn't he, bk?

"It's not as easy as I make it look."
---thus sayeth the suber
bk
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by bk »

fishinbug wrote:
bk wrote: All of which broke at the midpoint, due to the one-arm paddle technique.
Ole 'Lefty' taught you that didn't he, bk?

:lol: :lol:

I actually learned it out of determination not to have to put the rod down in order to paddle a short distance or to right the yak.
H_luciae
Yak Daddy
Yak Daddy

Post by H_luciae »

Glad to see that you and others are getting out. Maybe by the end to the month my hectic life will allow me to get back on the water. Way to slay them Brad.
GoodCall
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Post by GoodCall »

awesome, bk!
marlindoc
Yaking Monster
Yaking Monster

Post by marlindoc »

Beautiful fish!
jonthesnook

Post by jonthesnook »

I just bought a slayer 14.5 in that same color. It's a magnificent boat. Those are some great catches! Here are my first fresh and salt catches in my new vessel :)
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.