5/10 Back on the fish Levy Bay

Moderators: Talltails, LCallaghan, jsuber

GatorMD97
Baitor
Baitor

5/10 Back on the fish Levy Bay

Post by GatorMD97 »

Took the family and mother-in-law kayaking on the Wakulla for Mother's Day. Had to return the tandem rental today so decided it was a good reason to go fishing since I was down that way. Headed out to Levy Bay again since the conditions were similar to my last successful outing (late afternoon with a falling tide).

Topwater bite was on again. I caught several slot reds (biggest 24") and a 23" trout. The trout was a real fatty and put up a hell of a fight with two 20 to 30 yard screaming runs. Caught everything on a full size Heddon One Knocker in Bone again.

I had several great hits that didn't hookup as well. I've not seen this before but I'm a rookie so any advice is appreciated. These were not misses; 3 separate times I saw the fish strike and swim away with the lure completely under the water. I am not aggressively setting the hook, simply watching the strike on a medium pace walk the dog action, watching the lure disappear and then giving a firm lift to the rod after a moment or two. Should I be giving a good set to a topwater lure?

Baja Bob
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Re: 5/10 Back on the fish Levy Bay

Post by Baja Bob »

Thanks for sharing and the pictures you might want to try replacing your hooks
salty gator
Yaking Monster
Yaking Monster

Post by salty gator »

Nice report. Thanks. I never set a book until I feel the fish on. How hard depends on the line( more streach w mono) and rod action. Good luck, keep it up
You should have been here yesterday
Fishbaitbilly
Yaking Monster
Yaking Monster

Post by Fishbaitbilly »

Great fishing, Doc! Like Baja Bob said, hooks get dull pretty quick. Switch them out for 2X or 3X trebs. I like Owner stinger hooks with #5 hyper wire split rings. Keep up the good work!
fishinbug
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by fishinbug »

On topwater I do like saltygator and wait to feel the tug from the fish. I rarely 'set' the hook on a topwater lure. The fish does it for me.
"It's not as easy as I make it look."
---thus sayeth the suber
Yak Crevalle
Yakaholic
Yakaholic

Post by Yak Crevalle »

Never had to set the hook on topwater. If you're using the original hooks that came on the One Knocker, then go ahead and swap them out. They're not that sturdy and don't last long. I only make it down to fish inshore for one week a year and found that the hooks on a new One Knocker are fine for that first week, but I have to replace them after that. Had a sailcat hit one of my One Knockers at AP a couple years ago and it twisted one of the stock hooks. Great lure, poor quality hooks for the salt...unless they have started making one for saltwater. I got a handful of them a few years back and haven't lost one yet (knock on wood).
Hobie Compass
Hobie Compass Duo
GatorMD97
Baitor
Baitor

Post by GatorMD97 »

Thanks for the tips guys. I will look into changing out the hooks and split rings.