Mixed Results

Moderators: Talltails, LCallaghan, jsuber

Part-Time Gypsy

Mixed Results

Post by Part-Time Gypsy »

Here's the rundown on the luck of a couple of out of towners...

Got into town around noon on Saturday and headed to Lanark Village, but found at least 60 trailers parked around the ramp. Had hoped to launch from the beach behind the club, but saw "no kayak launching" signs posted. Anyone know why, if yaks paid their launch fee like everyone else, they want them launching from the busy ramp instead? We drove around Alligator Point looking for spots to fish, but either the wind wouldn't cooperate or the area was super crowded. We ended up putting in at the Hwy 98 bridge on Ochlockonee Bay and paddled west to the large point. Landed a few trout near the channel edges, but no monsters...saw lots of bait activity. My friend had a mystery fish bite off his 8" paddle tail without taking line (perhaps a shark?). Bank fisherman along the channel didn't report catching much.

Sunday we put in at Bottoms Rd and headed east. We caught loads of trout around 6' depths near the deep channel just west of Piney Island with lots of decent sized lady fish. My friend also caught a Spanish mack in the same spot and nearly lost a spoon dangling from the side of his yak to a giant sea turtle. Most of our fish along the trough came on silver Sprites, Mirrolures and white Gulp mullet. We also found some flounder tight on the shoreline using golden Chickenboy shad. A 4' tarpon was spotted east of Piney so we paddled out to the channel markers SE of the point and we caught quite a few more trout and flounder, but nothing else.

Monday we went to St Mark's lighthouse looking to beat the wind, but it was still stiffer than predicted. We drifted out of the channel and around the bar due west, but were being ripped around by current and wind. We paddled southeast and found quite a few good trout on the oyster bar between the wreck and the lighthouse. Lots of bait schooling, but not much else going on. We paddled east to the large cove and drifted back west, catching a few trout on white Gulp mullet. We tried a few of the bars northwest of the ramp, but only managed a few more trout and a missed ladyfish. We finished in the cove that backs up behind the ramp, but saw nothing other than a large pod of dolphins fishing.

All in all we had a good time, but were hoping we'd find more diversity beyond the trout. Thanks again for the information on the area and sharing your beautiful surroundings. We're on to try the IRL and Sebastian River/Inlet to see what else we can catch.
OneTripletail
Yakaholic
Yakaholic

Re: Mixed Results

Post by OneTripletail »

Great Report. Thanks
WannaDoDat
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by WannaDoDat »

Awesome report! You were very generous in sharing the details. Hope the fish are as generous to you on your continuing adventure! :A1

Jean
fishinbug
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by fishinbug »

I hope you catch a/some big snook at Sebastian Inlet.
:mrgreen:
"It's not as easy as I make it look."
---thus sayeth the suber
kikstand454
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by kikstand454 »

Glad you at least had some solid fishing in the area......the trout are on a great come back after a very lackluster year in 2015. They're thicker than I've seen them in a long while.

Awesome report. Thanks!