Lanark 6-23

Moderators: Talltails, LCallaghan, jsuber

yakpacking77

Lanark 6-23

Post by yakpacking77 »

Hit Lanark early Thursday and went out past the reef looking for any interested fish. The bite was slow and intermittent, but bait fish were all over the place. I caught a lot of bait, lost a spanish at the kayak, and threw back one keeper trout. My friend got several catfish and ladyfish, and a 21" trout. It was slow for fishing, but we did get quite a show. Two powerboaters decided to give each other grief and we had front row seats. One laid claim to the entire reef, and accused the other of fishing right on top of him (which was a bit of a stretch) and also told him he was "running all up on the kayak guys" (which was a pretty accurate assessment). The offending boater was coming in hot and looked like he was going to use us as plastic speed bumps, he killed the engines far enough out where we only got a little bit of wake. But the arguing was priceless! Even though the entertainment was bumped up to a strong PG-13, my seven year old still had a good time. I got to show him "how we don't act" and that was worth the price of admission. Anyhow, good luck and tight lines everyone. (PS....most of the fish were caught on frozen shrimp. Crum's was out of live shrimp. And I now know that frozen shrimp are the devil. Horrible bait and really stink up your yak.)
Angler Allen
Baitor
Baitor

Re: Lanark 6-23

Post by Angler Allen »

Great report! Gotta love when you can watch people make a fool of themselves and learn a lesson in the process. Did you see any tarpon roll at the reef?
yakpacking77

Post by yakpacking77 »

None up close, but there were a few rolling in the distance. At least until the power boats started rolling in.
salty gator
Yaking Monster
Yaking Monster

Post by salty gator »

Nice work, glad the little one got a lesson in how not to act. You may want to try gulp baits instead of frozen shrimp. They will stay on the hook a lot longer, and still stink enough to work as well as frozen shrimp most of the time. They will also attract less desirable fish like frozen shrimp, but not as bad. Thanks for the report
You should have been here yesterday
bigboots
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Post by bigboots »

Thanks for the report.
WannaDoDat
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by WannaDoDat »

Yikes 8O Just what I love. A nice calm peaceful and quiet outing on the water. Bravo to you and your crew for staying above the fray and keeping your sense of humor about it.
luceror
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Post by luceror »

Last couple times Crums was outa live shrimp I got some frozen that said "fresh frozen" in big print on package. That brand was not bad. Stayed on hook pretty good. And didn't stink when thawed.