Yates Creek - 7-1-2017

Moderators: Talltails, LCallaghan, jsuber

SRAces
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Yates Creek - 7-1-2017

Post by SRAces »

Met Tim at Yates Creek around 6:15am. The weather conditions for most of the day were ideal. We had an early storm cloud near us, but it ended up moving away from us. The loose grass was prevalent in a lot of areas, but we did find some areas where we could use treble hook lures without bringing salad back to the yak.

Tim managed to out fish me...lol! He boated 1 small red, 14 trout, 5 black sea bass and one very large sailcat. A few of Tim's trout were keeper size but we both agreed that the larger trout are just not there in any numbers. Tim also managed to catch a 3 foot long nose gar that put up a good fight. Since he does not usually carry a net, I pedaled over to assist. :D

I didn't catch anything of size except for 2 sharks! One of the sharks took a beeline under the yak and managed to snap off one of my Vortex rods. So it got away with the popping cork rig attached! At least it was a cheap rod and the popping cork was one I had found in the Gulf.

I managed 2 sharks, 2 trout, 1 Jack and 10 black sea bass. I also caught 2 Tomtates and 2 other small fish I could not identify (similar to a sheepshead, but regular sharp teeth).

Here are a couple of pics from the trip.

Steve Stubbs
USAF (retired)
Lake Park, GA

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador
2018 Hobie Compass - Seagrass
2015 Hobie Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
salty gator
Yaking Monster
Yaking Monster

Re: Yates Creek - 7-1-2017

Post by salty gator »

Thanks for the report. What is a tomates? Google search said freshwater fish in South America. Thanks
You should have been here yesterday
SRAces
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Post by SRAces »

salty gator wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:16 am Thanks for the report. What is a tomates? Google search said freshwater fish in South America. Thanks
A tomtate is a member of the grunt family. It's about the same size. 6-9 inches long. Thin body, silver sides and a significant black spot at the base of the tail. It was the first time I had caught one. Looked it up when I got home. They are found around the Florida coast.

http://identifyfish.blogspot.com/2010/0 ... eatum.html
Steve Stubbs
USAF (retired)
Lake Park, GA

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador
2018 Hobie Compass - Seagrass
2015 Hobie Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
WannaDoDat
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by WannaDoDat »

Way to go, Steve and Tim!! Nice report of your fun day. :D
salty gator
Yaking Monster
Yaking Monster

Post by salty gator »

SRAces wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:35 am
salty gator wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:16 am Thanks for the report. What is a tomates? Google search said freshwater fish in South America. Thanks
A tomtate is a member of the grunt family. It's about the same size. 6-9 inches long. Thin body, silver sides and a significant black spot at the base of the tail. It was the first time I had caught one. Looked it up when I got home. They are found around the Florida coast.

http://identifyfish.blogspot.com/2010/0 ... eatum.html
Interesting, I've never heard of them. I think I omitted a t in my search. Looks a little like a spot tail that we catch a lot. Thanks
You should have been here yesterday
jsuber
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jsuber »

Great report.
Jeff Suber

¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>

2022 Hobie Pro Angler 14
2019 Hobie Outback
Malone Trailer