Yates Creek - 11-2-2017

Moderators: Talltails, LCallaghan, jsuber

SRAces
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Yates Creek - 11-2-2017

Post by SRAces »

Met Tim, Ed and Buddy this morning to fish Yates Creek. It was cool and breezy, but we managed to catch fish. Tim lost a couple of good fish on topwater early on. He had a blue fish decide it wanted to keep his One Knocker and broke his leader. :( Trout were the predominant catch of the day. Tim and I each landed a trout in the 22-23 inch range and boated a few over 20 inches long. Ed managed one that he indicated went 26 inches. Picture below of Ed's trout. Way to go Ed! I'll add a couple as well. Didn't take a lot of pictures. Not a lot of dinks. Most were slot size.

Ed landed 5 trout for the day. Buddy caught 4 trout, 2 nice reds and a black sea bass. Tim caught around 15-16 fish. Pretty sure most were trout as I was fishing with him most of the day. I saw him lose 2-3 nice fish early as the hook came out when fighting the fish. I managed 1 red, 2 black sea bass and 20 trout.

All in all a decent day even though we had to fight the wind. We got off the water around noon before the water got too low since the wind was blowing the water out of the creek. :-) I got to christen a new kayak. :D
Ed_26trout.jpg
Yates_Trout_Nov_12.jpg
Yates_Red_Nov_12.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Steve Stubbs
USAF (retired)
Lake Park, GA

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador
2018 Hobie Compass - Seagrass
2015 Hobie Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
bigboots
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Re: Yates Creek - 11-2-2017

Post by bigboots »

Great report.Is that one of the new Hobie Compass kayaks? How does it compare to the PA.
SRAces
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Post by SRAces »

bigboots wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:33 pm Great report.Is that one of the new Hobie Compass kayaks? How does it compare to the PA.
Yep! Picked it up Saturday. I still have my 2015 PA14. Yesterday was the maiden voyage in a windy environment. It will never replace the PA for me, but will be one I use for times when I don't want to carry a lot or when the conditions involve skinny water and paddling. It is a lot easier to paddle than the PA due to sitting lower to the water than in the PA seat.

It does give you a spacious rear cargo area similar to the PA, but will not allow the Livewell XL to be used. That's still a PA only livewell. No hull slap at all. A real quiet boat in the water. The key for me was the flatter and smoother walls in front of the seat, larger rear cargo area and rudder under the rear like a PA as opposed to what you get in an Outback. The built-in cup holder is worthless to me. It will not hold a bottle of water. Will use an H-Rail cup holder on the next outing.

I almost bought an Outback last year. Glad I waited as I really like the hull design of the Compass. I added the H-Rails so I could use a similar rod holder setup as the PA. Tim helped me load it in the back of the truck when we got off the water. Felt like a feather compared to the PA...lol!

Still have more mods to do. Have to template it for SeaDek with the round hatch, install the rectangular hatch and template it that way...lol! Very happy with the investment. I also upgraded to the MD180, so I can also use that drive in the PA. Great flexibility now! :D
Compass_2.jpg
Compass_1.jpg
Compass_4.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by SRAces on Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Stubbs
USAF (retired)
Lake Park, GA

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador
WannaDoDat
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by WannaDoDat »

Another fun and fish-filled fiesta of friends!! :P

Great going on the catches, everyone!
Super nice kayak and setup, Steve! Cool color, too.
SRAces
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Post by SRAces »

WannaDoDat wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:23 am Another fun and fish-filled fiesta of friends!! :P

Great going on the catches, everyone!
Super nice kayak and setup, Steve! Cool color, too.
Thanks Jean! Love the new ride! Still have to add the SeaDek and rectangular hatch yet. Nice having 2 options to choose from when going fishing versus 2 PAs. The wind has not been kind lately. Seems like the cold fronts and barometer falling out has been on the weekends...LOL!
Steve Stubbs
USAF (retired)
Lake Park, GA

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador
fishshooter99
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Post by fishshooter99 »

Great report Steve! If it's any consolation concerning the cold/wind it didn't discriminate. I had a great time fishing Spring Warrior Thursday afternoon Friday and Saturday morning with the usual Atl based Delta guys but that cold wind was relentless Friday and Saturday. Luckily, the fish didn't seem to mind and trout and reds were caught by all! One of the guys even worked up some trout on his fly rod.
Expatriate Floridian living in the "Land of the Ice and Snow" that is Atlanta.
Gary
SRAces
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Post by SRAces »

fishshooter99 wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:41 pm Great report Steve! If it's any consolation concerning the cold/wind it didn't discriminate. I had a great time fishing Spring Warrior Thursday afternoon Friday and Saturday morning with the usual Atl based Delta guys but that cold wind was relentless Friday and Saturday. Luckily, the fish didn't seem to mind and trout and reds were caught by all! One of the guys even worked up some trout on his fly rod.
There were 2 guys in a small v-hull fishing towards the end of our time on the water. The wind had calmed down considerably and one of the guys was fly fishing. The fish were there as the pelicans dive bombing the water told us that! Glad you and your crew caught fish as well. :D
Steve Stubbs
USAF (retired)
Lake Park, GA

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador
jsuber
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jsuber »

Nice
Jeff Suber

¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>

2022 Hobie Pro Angler 14
2019 Hobie Outback
Malone Trailer
Penn Battle III
Bone One-Knocker and Gold ADL spoon
kikstand454
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by kikstand454 »

I hope you guys don't mind me piggy backing on this post.

My friend Walt and I went to Yates on tuesday 21. This was our first trip here, and we learned alot. Lol.
There was absolutely no water for the first 4 hours or more of the morning. 34° wind from the NE at about 12mph. Lol. No fish either.
As soon as the tide came back, Walt started catching some pin fish on shrimp, and I told him to put one on for bait. Things blew up. Lol. He got two upper slot reds and a nice fat 24" trout in a short time.
I struggled with several issues throughout the day, but eventually caught a nice 20" trout on the ol' spook.
Beautiful area, will definitely go back when conditions are better.
20171120_115949.jpg