Spring Creek - Jan 20-21, 2017

Moderators: Talltails, LCallaghan, jsuber

SRAces
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Spring Creek - Jan 20-21, 2017

Post by SRAces »

Decided to head to Spring Creek Saturday morning with a late start as the low tide was supposed to be really low. When I go to the ramp around 11:30am there was water at the first bend, but not much...lol! Still able to float the Compass through it without any difficulty.

Got out to where I wanted to start fishing and immediately started catching trout. I had no intentions of leaving the creek as I was sure if fish were going to be caught, it would be in the warmer waters in the creek. The water temp was 63-64 degrees when I started, but as I got closer to the mouth and the tide started to come in, it dropped to as low as 55 degrees.

Still didn't affect the bite. Ended up with 70 trout for the day. Yes...I kept count...lol! There were several other folks fishing the same stretch of the creek but it wasn't crowded.

Got a call from my friend Mark in Ocala asking how the day went. When I gave him the results he asked me to make a trip back to the creek on Sunday. So I met Mark at Rocky's around 11:30am and we headed to the creek. We were one of the first ones to get to the same section of the creek and find our spots to anchor. There were more people fishing on Sunday than Saturday as I guess the word got out that the trout bite was hot.

Mark and I both landed around 70-75 trout...probably more than that. :wink: We didn't take very many pictures as we were having too much fun with the tugs on the lines. Only caught about a dozen over 20 inches between the 2 days, but a lot in the mid slot range. We did get to see another kayaker fall out of his kayak trying to reach back and put a trout in a cooler. He didn't realize how far his yak was leaning. He did say the water was cold! Didn't lose any gear as it was just him that fell in. He was able to get back in after swimming the yak 20 feet to the shore. Brrrr!!!

Here are a few pics:

SPCreek_Mark_1.jpg
SPCreek_Mark_2.jpg
SPCreek_Mark_3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Steve Stubbs
USAF (retired)
Lake Park, GA

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador
2018 Hobie Compass - Seagrass
2015 Hobie Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
Fishbaitbilly
Yaking Monster
Yaking Monster

Re: Spring Creek - Jan 20-21, 2017

Post by Fishbaitbilly »

Wow! That's a boatload of trout. No reds? My arms got sore just reading about all those fish. Thanks for the report.
SRAces
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Post by SRAces »

There were a couple of dink reds caught by folks near us, but that was about it. On Saturday I did try some normal areas for reds at high tide but got nothing. Reports from some of the folks that were in contact with friends out in the Gulf indicated those folks weren't having any luck. The fishing this past weekend seemed to be in the spring fed creeks.
Steve Stubbs
USAF (retired)
Lake Park, GA

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador
2018 Hobie Compass - Seagrass
2015 Hobie Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
jsuber
Site Admin
Site Admin