Fenholloway River - 2-3-2018

Moderators: Talltails, LCallaghan, jsuber

SRAces
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Fenholloway River - 2-3-2018

Post by SRAces »

With the low morning tide, the decision to fish this weekend was based on a noon launch due to the water levels and the wind. Originally there were at least 5 of us going. My friend Mark from Ocala cancelled due to a bad cold. Donnie over in Jax and his friend decided to go to Yates Creek. Hmmm...maybe not a good idea with the tide and wind. 8O

So I met Ed and Sven at Rocky's at 11:30 am and we headed to the Fenholloway launch. Needless to say, the water level was a lot lower than last weekend. We managed to get 2 PAs and the Compass launched from the banks by the ramp. The ramp was not usable...lol!

Just getting out of the launch area to the river itself looked like this.

fen-1.jpg

Once in the river, we were fine as far as water depth. We fished the mouth at the Gulf with a little success, but wanted to fish the same creek Tim and I had fished the previous weekend. So we worked our way to that creek. Once in the creek we started catching fish. All the fish we caught in the creek were all slot size. None under 15 inches. Not sure if we caught any over 20 inches. This was my biggest trout.

fen-3.jpg

While we didn't catch the numbers that Tim and I caught we had a blast! The wind never got where it was an issue. Sven ended up with 27 trout. Ed caught 30 trout. I caught the only reds for the day. My total was 2 reds and 45 trout.

Just a great time on the water with good friends!

fen-4.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Steve Stubbs
USAF (retired)
Lake Park, GA

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador
2018 Hobie Compass - Seagrass
2015 Hobie Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
Edwade
Yak Daddy
Yak Daddy

Re: Fenholloway River - 2-3-2018

Post by Edwade »

Nice report Steve! Who are those good looking guys trolling the paddletails??? I never really liked the thought of creek and river fishing in the winter, but safe to say that's changed.

I felt bad for the 2 young guys anchored up in the jonboat in the river fishing live shrimp. I think they concluded there were no fish to be caught, until they met us at the launch. We shared some info and maybe they'll do better next time.

I was also happy to get checked by the game warden on the dirt road. Glad to see them out there. I don't think either of the 3 of us even had a cooler on board.
SRAces
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Post by SRAces »

Ed,

I was happy to see the FWC folks checking as well. Never have an issue with them checking me out. :wink: Now you know why I fish every weekend of the year as long as the conditions permit...lol!
Steve Stubbs
USAF (retired)
Lake Park, GA

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador
garydroze
Yak Daddy
Yak Daddy

Post by garydroze »

Well done, Steve. Looks like you have winter fishing figured out in that area. On satellite maps, I'm seeing a large creek (or small river?) just under three miles east of the Fenholloway. Appears that a dirt road goes right to it. Do you know the name of that one? Can't find the name on any maps, even though smaller creeks between there and Spring Warrior are named. It looks like it has potential.
SRAces
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Post by SRAces »

garydroze wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:52 am Well done, Steve. Looks like you have winter fishing figured out in that area. On satellite maps, I'm seeing a large creek (or small river?) just under three miles east of the Fenholloway. Appears that a dirt road goes right to it. Do you know the name of that one? Can't find the name on any maps, even though smaller creeks between there and Spring Warrior are named. It looks like it has potential.
The next creek with a launch to the east of the Fenholloway is Spring Creek. That's where I caught 150 trout 3 weekends ago. With the water temps like they have been, most of the good fishing is in a creek that is spring fed. Spring Creek is one. Never fished Spring Warrior Creek before. Fished Yates Creek on the other side of Spring Warrior Creek many times.

When you go down Hampton Springs Road past the Taylor County Correctional Institution, you will see a brown Florida WMA sign for Spring Creek. It's about 4.5 miles of dirt road. For me it's my closest fishing spot to drive to. :wink:
Steve Stubbs
USAF (retired)
Lake Park, GA

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador
garydroze
Yak Daddy
Yak Daddy

Post by garydroze »

Thanks for the quick response and education, Steve. I plan to scout that area soon. Am thinking about trying Spring Creek first, then driving east through that WMA until I reach the Okefenokee Slough, which runs under Mule Wallow Spur (Sounds like a Country Punk band!). Figure to park at the slough and wiggle my kayak towards the coast. From there, east to west, are Holy Creek, Island Creek, Otter Creek, Sand Creek, and Eaglenest Creek. On satellite maps, they all remind me of some of my favorite productive water in the St Marks Refuge. I have a three-day weekend next week; hoping to begin learning those creeks then, and send reports.

Thanks again!
garydroze
Yak Daddy
Yak Daddy

Post by garydroze »

Scouting update...

Yesterday, I parked on Mule Wallow Spur (dirt road in the Spring Creek unit of the Big Bend Wildlife Management area, just west of Spring Warrior). Portaged & paddled a small canoe from the road to the gulf, hoping to find some magic in the area. Instead, I found the softest, deepest mud I've ever encountered every time I tried to exit the canoe to look for bait. Sunk to mid-thigh twice. Also, both the slough and the adjacent creek were clotted with slimy green gunk-moss that coated my line & lures with every cast. On the return paddle, the rising tide reduced clearance under a tree that had fallen across the slough. My attempted limbo failed when I reached back for a rod that I forgot to stow. That move capsized the canoe in 4 feet of swamp water. Managed to rescue the canoe & tackle, and drag the boat & my soggy carcass back to the car.

On the bright side, two items:
1. That was still better than a day at work.
2. I won't be wasting any time there in next month's NFGFC tourney.
SRAces
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Post by SRAces »

garydroze wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:28 pm Scouting update...

Yesterday, I parked on Mule Wallow Spur (dirt road in the Spring Creek unit of the Big Bend Wildlife Management area, just west of Spring Warrior). Portaged & paddled a small canoe from the road to the gulf, hoping to find some magic in the area. Instead, I found the softest, deepest mud I've ever encountered every time I tried to exit the canoe to look for bait. Sunk to mid-thigh twice. Also, both the slough and the adjacent creek were clotted with slimy green gunk-moss that coated my line & lures with every cast. On the return paddle, the rising tide reduced clearance under a tree that had fallen across the slough. My attempted limbo failed when I reached back for a rod that I forgot to stow. That move capsized the canoe in 4 feet of swamp water. Managed to rescue the canoe & tackle, and drag the boat & my soggy carcass back to the car.

On the bright side, two items:
1. That was still better than a day at work.
2. I won't be wasting any time there in next month's NFGFC tourney.
Glad I didn't go that route! :wink: Tim and I had fun dragging our loaded yaks over a tree last Saturday with similar soft mud on the bottom of the creek we were in. Luckily we made it past the tree with no issues.
Steve Stubbs
USAF (retired)
Lake Park, GA

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador