Bottoms Road 5/12/18

Moderators: Talltails, LCallaghan, jsuber

Edwade
Yak Daddy
Yak Daddy

Bottoms Road 5/12/18

Post by Edwade »

My reports of late are usually included in Steve's (SRAces) weekly accounts. But on this day we headed in different directions. I met Sven at first light at Bottoms Road, and we headed across toward Whetstone Point in calm waters. With no breeze to start out, the no see-ums were brutal and stayed with us all the way across the channel. It was low tide so we were limited in where we could peddle to a couple of drop off areas with good grass beds. The water temp started at 72 and ultimately topped 80 degrees. Sven stuck with his Rip n Slash much of the day, and I alternated the Ripper with a paddletail and a couple of top water plugs. The trout bite was good all day, and the lady fish were reeking havoc on everything we threw.

I caught 16 trout, a 21 inch redfish, 6 lady fish, and a catfish. Some nice 17-18 inch trout, but no real monsters. Oh, and I caught a 3-foot blacktip shark that swam away with my new One Knocker. He shook his head and broke the line as I was trying to grab the hooks with my pliers. Sven I think had 11 trout and 2 reds, along with a number of lady fish. We finished up around 1:00, and headed over to Mad Anthony's for some fresh blackened redfish. Nice Spring day!
Fishbaitbilly
Yaking Monster
Yaking Monster

Re: Bottoms Road 5/12/18

Post by Fishbaitbilly »

Good fishing, Ed, in spite of the buggy conditions. I remember one time at Bottoms Road, I had to go meet the #2 train behind some bushes and suffered more than a half dozen unconventional horse fly bites. It made for a very uncomfortable day of fishing to say the least!

I can't tell if the bite is holding up or not. You have gotten very good at dialing in the fish over the last few years regardless of conditions. Hopefully, my year long hiatus from fishing will be over in a couple of weeks. I may need to hire you to guide for me a couple of trips until I get the hang of it again.
SRAces
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Post by SRAces »

Great trip Ed!

You out fished me on Saturday for sure! Need to get my reports posted. :wink:

Steve
Steve Stubbs
USAF (retired)
Lake Park, GA

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador
2018 Hobie Compass - Seagrass
2015 Hobie Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
madphilip
Yakaholic
Yakaholic

Post by madphilip »

Great report. I just started fishing that area for the first time this spring. Around the date of this report I tossed the Ripper and caught a 24" red and then a 21" trout on the very next cast at the same spot (dropped my phone in the saltwater while handling the trout - doh!). Had a dry spell there during the Rock the Dock tournament but I blame myself, not the fish. They were there for sure!
31444896_10113237546068381_4602518964784857088_n.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.