Hickory Mounds - 4th of July

Moderators: Talltails, LCallaghan, jsuber

SRAces
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Hickory Mounds - 4th of July

Post by SRAces »

I have been fishing for tarpon the past few weekends with Tim and we have yet to land one, so until that happens I haven't been submitting any regular fishing reports...lol! Still fishing every weekend. I wanted to get back to a regular fishing outing on the 4th and met Ed and Buddy at Hickory Mounds at 6am. With all the rain I was concerned about water salinity. If the Gulf isn't salty enough, it seems like the bite is really off.

No bites in the creeks or the creek mouths per say. The fish we caught were outside the creeks. Some as far as a half mile offshore. The weather was great as opposed to the forecast of thunderstorms in the afternoon. No weather issues at all.

Ed managed 5 nice slot reds with his largest being 25.5 inches. He also caught 2 trout and a bluefish. Buddy ended up with 2 reds, 2 trout and 4 ladyfish. I ended up with 5 reds, 2 trout, 1 snook, 4 huge sailcats and 2 ladyfish. Considering how bad the salinity was, I think we did well.

I managed to catch a nice 25.5 inch red as well, but my biggest red was 29 inches. The shock for me was what it hit. I was fishing for pinfish to use under a float. I was using a very small crappie jig and a cutoff piece of a soft plastic paddle tail lure (and a little Pro-Cure). I had tossed the jig out and let it settle to the bottom. When it took off I figuresd it was a catfish until I felt the weight...lol!

A great day on the water on Independence Day with good friends. :D

July4th-1.png
July4th-2.png
July4th-3.png
July4th-4.png
July4th-5.png
July4th-6.png
July4th-7.png
July4th-8.png
July4th-9.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Steve Stubbs
USAF (retired)
Lake Park, GA

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador
2018 Hobie Compass - Seagrass
2015 Hobie Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
Edwade
Yak Daddy
Yak Daddy

Re: Hickory Mounds - 4th of July

Post by Edwade »

Great report and pics Steve. It seemed like a slow day, probably because the trout bite was off. But by the end of the day, we did pretty well. Plus it was fun watching those reds blast a topwater! Hope you and Tim get your tarpon this weekend.
bigboots
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Post by bigboots »

Great report.
GoodCall
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Post by GoodCall »

A snook at HM??? Wow! Great report!