Dec. 29 2006 Panacea Area

Moderators: Talltails, LCallaghan, jsuber

jsuber
Site Admin
Site Admin

Dec. 29 2006 Panacea Area

Post by jsuber »

I went out tonight after work and was able to get to my favorite fishing hole by 16:00. My neighbor thought I was a mad man coming home, running in one door with my work clothes on and coming out another with my fishing clothes on and pulling a 16’ kayak into the back of my truck. And off I went. I get to the hole and see that I am going to have to do a little walking in mud as the tide is just starting to come back in. I get out to the water and ease around the corner to my dependable go to hole to catch at least one Redfish. It did not let me down. I made a long cast with a Top Dog Mirrolure black with silver sides, and see a little wear and tear in my line. I decided to clean up the little “soon to be knot” when I hear an explosion on top of my lure. I reel in line and finally get to where I can control my lure when another explosion happens and my line starts running off my reel. Now we’re talking. Mr. Red pulls me off the mud flat I was sitting on in my kayak and gives me a really good long fight. I see that the lure is in the side of his face and understand why he’s so mad. I gently pull the hooks out and send him on his way. I notice a little bulling in the water off to my distant left and start working my way over. I make a really long cast again and soon as it hits the water so does Mr. Red #2. This one is a little bigger and misses the lure, so I leave it be and he comes over the top and drags it down to the bottom. But I feel a little slack in the line, so I let it rise back to he top and before it makes it there, my line goes taught. Wham, he’s running now. I can’t believe my eyes, that I get two nice reds just minutes apart. This one drags me over to another mud flat and I get a little video of him getting to the boat, and take a couple of photos. He had 9 spots on one side. Nice fish. I make a few more cast with my topwater and no luck. I know there are more fish cause I seen one bust the water while I was reeling in Red #2. I lean back and grab my rod with the DOA jig-head and root-beer paddle tail. I cast it to the same point I caught #2 and soon as it hits the water my line goes tight again. Nice pull, nice runs, then when it gets to the boat, I see that it has some kind of disease, and its breast plate looks like exposed skin. I lighten up and it get off at the boat. Good, I didn’t want to touch it. I make four more cast and catch four more reds. All were between 22 and 27 inches. Not a bad way to end the year if I don’t get to fish again this weekend. Of course that will not be happening.
Keep a tight line.

Jeff Suber

¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>

2022 Hobie Pro Angler 14
2019 Hobie Outback
Malone Trailer
Penn Battle III
Bone One-Knocker and Gold ADL spoon
Reel-Fin-Addict
Founder
Founder

Post by Reel-Fin-Addict »

nice catch of reds Jsuber !!!!

8O check out the moon in the back ground 8)
Last edited by Reel-Fin-Addict on Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
CaptDick
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by CaptDick »

Very nice........get some more before New Years......who is gonna have the first catch of 2007..........?
Stan
www.CaptDick.net
Kayak Fishing Accessories
SIGN4U
Baitor
Baitor

Post by SIGN4U »

Jeff, when you fish the Panacea area, where do you launch from? Do you fish levy bay or dickerson? Im i asking to many questions :lol: Nice reds!!!