Crappie @ Lake Miccosukee 12/12/15

Moderators: Talltails, LCallaghan, jsuber

Edwade
Yak Daddy
Yak Daddy

Crappie @ Lake Miccosukee 12/12/15

Post by Edwade »

If anyone is looking for a change from getting blown around the bays or battling negative low tides in the creeks this winter, you might want to try some freshwater crappie action. My golf Buddy (capitalized because that's his name) and I headed east to Reeve's Landing, after the newspaper said the bite was hot. After picking up a couple of foot longs at Bradley's Country Store, Buddy rode my Hobie for his first time in a yak, and I fished out of the Lure 14. Before we were even out of the ramp basin, and while Buddy was still focused on staying upright, he had his first fish.

We drifted through and around about a dozen boats, and everyone was friendly because they're all catching fish. We fished golden minnows we bought for a dollar a dozen from Eli Reeves, tipped on crappie jigs, and probably caught 25 fish in deep water in about 4 hours. Many of the fish were pretty nice 11 or so inches. Not like the monster 13 inchers we were catching last spring in the river, but lot's more action. I didn't bring any home because I wasn't going to get a chance to eat them fresh, but Buddy said the ones he fried up were excellent, and he's now in the kayak market! I'm pretty sure this won't be my last short jaunt over to Reeve's Landing this winter, and I (and Eli!) would love to see some more Yakkers out there!
Fishbaitbilly
Yaking Monster
Yaking Monster

Re: Crappie @ Lake Miccosukee 12/12/15

Post by Fishbaitbilly »

Sounds like you and your buddy, Buddy had a great day. Before I moved down here permanently I used to fish the lakes around Atlanta often for crappie. A few of those slabs can make for a fun afternoon, not to mention a great dinner too! Good job of putting your buddy, Buddy on the fish ed, Ed!
bk
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by bk »

Good going on the slabbage. They are a ton of fun in the fly. Find 1 and you'll find 20.
"i said flotation is groovy and easy. Even a jellyfish would agree to that." - jimi
Edwade
Yak Daddy
Yak Daddy

Post by Edwade »

bk wrote:They are a ton of fun in the fly. Find 1 and you'll find 20.
Thanks Brad. I've always wanted to give the fly a try. I imagine that might be a Spring thing when they go shallow. I may have to pick up some tackle and start practicing!
WannaDoDat
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by WannaDoDat »

Fun stuff, Ed!
BloodyChamp
Yak Daddy
Yak Daddy

Post by BloodyChamp »

What river do you catch Specks out of? I catch them out of the Aucilla but it took more practice, and I'm talking years, than any bass I've ever fished lol!
marlindoc
Yaking Monster
Yaking Monster

Post by marlindoc »

I have started catching some really nice crappie here on lake bradford. You guys can launch at my house if you like.

Wally
Edwade
Yak Daddy
Yak Daddy

Post by Edwade »

Nice. They didn't school last year on Miccosukee, probably because it never really got cold. I'm hoping they show up this winter. Bradford is the FSU reservation right? Is there a notable pattern?
marlindoc
Yaking Monster
Yaking Monster

Post by marlindoc »

It has been strange. I will catch them in spurts, but not consistently until the winter time. I caught several of them all summer which is atypical. Who knows, right?
cotton
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by cotton »

BloodyChamp wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:43 pm What river do you catch Specks out of? I catch them out of the Aucilla but it took more practice, and I'm talking years, than any bass I've ever fished lol!
I sent you a PM.
A better Kayaker today, than yesterday.
Red Hobie Revolution
Green Native Slayer 12
Sand Hobie Pro Angler 14