Trout and Redfish in St. Marks River

Moderators: Talltails, LCallaghan, jsuber

Sandspur
Baitor
Baitor

Trout and Redfish in St. Marks River

Post by Sandspur »

I am not experienced in fishing for speckled trout and redfish on the St. Marks River in the winter when those fish are supposed to be there. I have used cut mullet bait, top water plugs, and mirror lures, all to no avail. Can someone educate me as to best locations to fish and lures that produce fish.
bk
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Re: Trout and Redfish in St. Marks River

Post by bk »

I've never fished there but It shouldn't be much different than similar types of water. Suspending twitch baits and cranks should do the trick nicely.
"i said flotation is groovy and easy. Even a jellyfish would agree to that." - jimi
cotton
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by cotton »

I have never enjoyed fishing from the yak with all the boats. You can get the same experience in any of the dozens of small creeks fed by springs along the coast.

If you must, throw both a suspending and the floating version of the lipped twitchbait. Examples: bomber long a, yozuri crystal minnow, etc... I like red/white.

My second suggestion would be gulp.

Start at a spot and paddle until you see a bend with a dozen boats parked on top of one another. Fish there.
A better Kayaker today, than yesterday.
Red Hobie Revolution
Green Native Slayer 12
Sand Hobie Pro Angler 14
WannaDoDat
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by WannaDoDat »

cotton wrote:I have never enjoyed fishing from the yak with all the boats. You can get the same experience in any of the dozens of small creeks fed by springs along the coast.

Start at a spot and paddle until you see a bend with a dozen boats parked on top of one another. Fish there.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

My sentiments exactly, Tim.

Jean
Fishbaitbilly
Yaking Monster
Yaking Monster

Post by Fishbaitbilly »

I once fished with Cotton from Newport to the fort and did not like it. Tim caught redfish and bass along the way but there were boats everywhere and I observed some people culling dead redfish only to keep the best ones at the end of the day. Sick. I like to fish south of the confluence toward Port Leon in the winter. There are plenty of trout and redfish willing to bite on jigs w/paddletails, suspending twitchbaits like catch jr. or mirodines. I also keep a rod loaded with a one oneknocker year round with good results.