Hard Card, who gets them?

Moderators: Talltails, LCallaghan, jsuber

BackCast
Yaking Monster
Yaking Monster

Hard Card, who gets them?

Post by BackCast »

Apparently I spend more time in the water than most folks and my fishing license pays the price for it. Every year, at least once, I end up with a soaked license that is faded beyond the point of being legible. Last year I was drifting over some grass flats when I spotted scallops and went after them. The year before that I was just hot and thought a dip in the bay was the ticket to cool off. Every time I just forget to shed the license before going overboard. It has become so much of a habit that I've learned to run a few copies of my license and keep them in the truck's glove compartment.

Last week I ordered my about-to-expire licenses online and noticed an option to get a hard card. The cost was only $4 and it seemed like it was meant for me. It arrived today showing my fresh water and saltwater licenses that will expire at the end of this month, as well and the new ones that will expire in May of '15. It is credit card size and solid plastic so I won't have to worry about any lamination separating. It should be more convenient and durable than the old paper licenses. I don't know if this is a new thing that I just never noticed before, or if I just wasn't paying attention in past years, but I think it's going to be well worth the few extra bucks.

Maybe everybody else knew about the hard cards and either buys them or feels they're a waste but thought it was worth mentioning just in case there's any interest.
BigIrish
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Re: Hard Card, who gets them?

Post by BigIrish »

I scan mine, print out color copies that are oversized for easy reading, tape over them with shipping tape, cut to size and carry the copies The FWC likes the easy to read big print. :lol:

If it gets wet I use a new copy,

The original license is in the truck with the registration and such.

but the hard license sounds like a good idea, also.
bk
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by bk »

for 5 years now, i go to kevins 2 or 3 days before tourney day, buy a fresh and salt license. (that way, i know every year that i need to do it.)
i leave kevins and go right to kinkos around the corner. i pay $1.25 and laminate the license and throw it in the pouch on the kayak seat and forget it til next year.

This next part is VERY IMPORTANT!

A couple years ago FWC switched to some water resistant paper to print the lic on. Well, for starters, it fades terribly. Secondly, do NOT put this paper thru the laminating machine! The paper turns jet-black.
So, be sure to make a copy of it first, Then, laminate the copy.

Aside from making the laminate version of the lic., i also take a picture of it with the cell phone and keep it digitally as a back up.
"i said flotation is groovy and easy. Even a jellyfish would agree to that." - jimi
Mongo
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Post by Mongo »

bk wrote:Aside from making the laminate version of the lic., i also take a picture of it with the cell phone and keep it digitally as a back up.
Great idea, although so far I have had better luck keeping my license dry than I have my phone. :oops: Do you think the marine patrol would accept as proof?
kikstand454
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by kikstand454 »

I renewed all my tags yesterday and asked about the card. Guy said he can have one sent to me for 4 dollars. So in doing so, he printed me a new paper one ( I like how they show all current licenses on one paper now...) and then I'm going to get a card in the mail.
So you CAN retroactively get one....as renewed my liscences a few months ago.

~~Dave
H_luciae
Yak Daddy
Yak Daddy

Post by H_luciae »

If you sign up for the 5-year license (FW & SW) you automatically get it on a credit card and it costs less per year. Great deal. Often, FWC will offer a promotional gift if you get a 5-yr license, although I have not seen one the last few years (probably due to legislative cuts). With this license it is in the database should you lose or misplace it- so it is easy to replace.
YakHead
Yakaholic
Yakaholic

Post by YakHead »

Yea I got a free one when I got a five year license. Has my salt and fresh licenses on the credit card style. Now I just keep it in my wallet, since that's always with me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk 2
Black Ford
Orange WS Ride 115
Camo WS Ride 135
Geoyaker
Yak Daddy
Yak Daddy

Post by Geoyaker »

I got the hard card. Been thru 6 was and holding strong. Def worth the few bucks in my opinion

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend. -Bruce Lee
Geoyaker
Yak Daddy
Yak Daddy

Post by Geoyaker »

Wash not was

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend. -Bruce Lee
gatoremt
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Post by gatoremt »

I got the hard card for the first time this year. Was not sure am I able to put next year on it too, or do I have to pay for a new one?
Griff ~ 14.5' UN
Virtus Junxit Mors Non Separabit"What virtue has joined together,
death shall not separate"
Deus bonus est,