Fish finder rig

Moderators: Talltails, LCallaghan, jsuber

Yakmanjr
Yak Daddy
Yak Daddy

Fish finder rig

Post by Yakmanjr »

Between the cold weather and working a lot of overtime, I haven't had much time to fish. Apparently, my wife caught me eyeballing the fish finders at bass pro shop as that is what she got me for Christmas :D Decided to take some time these last few days and build a fish finder mount for my Eagle Talon. As Ive never done this before, I tried to research as much as possible. This is what I ended up with.
yak1.jpg
yak2.jpg
yak3.jpg
yak4.jpg
Although, I won't be using this much in saltwater, I plan to spend more time fresh water fishing this year. I'm sure there are a ton of better ways I could have done all this, just wanted to share it with yall.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cotton
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Re: Fish finder rig

Post by cotton »

Please be sure and share your thoughts after a few trips. I have my eye one also and will also be using it in freshwater only.
A better Kayaker today, than yesterday.
Red Hobie Revolution
Green Native Slayer 12
Sand Hobie Pro Angler 14
Yakmanjr
Yak Daddy
Yak Daddy

Post by Yakmanjr »

Will do Cotton. Looking like Sunday will be my first trial run with it. Plan on doing a lot of paddling out at Piney Z. Updates to come!
BigIrish
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by BigIrish »

Almost Exactly what I use but I moved it to the Sail mast hole rather than another Scotty.
3 fishfinder.jpg
Finder 1.jpg
HOWEVER, you need it make it so the arm holding the transducer will swing back if needed, you will forget it is there and run it aground, :oops:

FISH ON!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
capncrunch
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by capncrunch »

Looks like a useful tool for Talquin as well.
GoodCall
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Post by GoodCall »

Are those cutting boards?
BigIrish
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by BigIrish »

Mine is. It is easy and cheap material to work with and if you change your mind you just drill more holes. I had the ubolts very tight but I snapped that elbow off coming ashore. I loosened them and replaced the elbow with a T which is stronger.
GoodCall
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Post by GoodCall »

Very cool. What's the issue with going through the scupper? I assume there is one since neither of you did. Fish/depth finders on yaks are foreign to me, so I'm curious.

I thought some of the Hobie's had some sort of pre-fabbed area to accomdate fish/depth finders....but I could be wrong.
BigIrish
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by BigIrish »

mine is a 2012 so it does not have the built in area for the transducer. I did not like the idea of mounting it inside the hull, as you get bad signals sometimes, and you have to drill a hole somewhere in the deck for the cable or connection. My scuppers are in the seat and right behind the seat. The ones behind the seat are used for my cart so those are out. The ones under my seat are a problem with routing the cable form the front where I wound up putting it so it is out of the way and easy to see. Where it is now I can drop my bait right under it and watch it go down right to the fish. :D
AS the Patriots Coach Bill said "If you aint cheating you aint really trying," :lol: