Kayak Trailer or Overhead Rack for Family Outings?

New to kayak fishing, come on in for answers.

Moderators: Talltails, LCallaghan, jsuber

fireant21

Kayak Trailer or Overhead Rack for Family Outings?

Post by fireant21 »

I use my bed extender for just myself when I go fishing, but it is becoming increasingly more often the family wants to go as well. I have a crew cab GMC, and have seen folks using the over the bed style racks by Thule. I also saw the continental trailer that Jeff posted for a four kayak setup (which is what it would be for me).

The pros and cons for me lean trailer, though I am concerned about the lack of parking at certain access points with said trailer. The rack is nice for ease of getting in and out of places, though the up/down of launching and retrieving does give me pause, especially after being on the water all day.

Anyone else crossed this bridge before?
Mongo
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Re: Kayak Trailer or Overhead Rack for Family Outings?

Post by Mongo »

When I was in college (100 years ago) my car battery was always going dead due to a wiring issue. Consequently, I always had to find big strong women to date. :oops: :lol: My point is, unless your wife is very willing and strong, I would opt for the trailer if you can swing the cost. The goal is probably to have an enjoyable day with the family on the water, why struggle with loading and unloading the yaks and risk back injury? Most of the family friendly launch sites have room for a trailer from what I've seen. :A45
fireant21

Post by fireant21 »

The price is within a couple hundred dollars once you add the carriers to the overhead racks. I was worried exactly about what you mentioned. Lugging a cuda and three other yaks up on the carrier after everyone is tired, hungry, and ill would not be my idea of fun.
BackCast
Yaking Monster
Yaking Monster

Post by BackCast »

I have an F-150 truck and frequently travel 900+ miles each way with two kayaks, a dog, golf bags, fishing equipment, tools, food and enough clothes, beer and wine to last 2 of us for a week or more. Two years ago I added an Extang tri-fold aluminum bed cover to the truck. Then I modified a hitch extender so it projected 4' and could raise to above the height of the bed cover, then added one wooden cradle to the extender, and another removable wooden cradle that rests on the bed cover to help secure the kayaks. I can load them myself in just a couple minutes and I have plenty of dry and secure area for all my other stuff. Wife and dog ride in the (crew) cab. The dog talks much less than the wife so I'd prefer he be in front but the wife sometimes objects.
jeeper50
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Post by jeeper50 »

I too have traveled down that road, putting kayak up on a pipe rack type carrier, it was about 7' to the yaks with my 3/4 ton truck. Got tired of lifting them up to the rack. Bought a cheap used trailer and added rails or bunks to carry kayaks. Lots of ideas to help you figure out a trailer/rack for your needs here;
http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/foru ... 3&t=121567

My trailers are on page 10, 11 of the link

Built the six place carrier for my utility trailer first, then built the two place trailer and added a storage box under kayaks for paddles rods etc. Now the storage box has doubled in height and added a "goal post" at each end for a 4 place trailer. The bigger box allows me to carry more camping stuff and ice chests
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'15 Hobie Revo 13
'16 Hobie Outback

In the land of the blind... the one eyed man is king!
Transplanted Texan

'53 Willys CJ3B
'00 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD