Cooler Access

New to kayak fishing, come on in for answers.

Moderators: Talltails, LCallaghan, jsuber

Mongo
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Cooler Access

Post by Mongo »

OK, as a "Nembie" I guess I can still ask dumb questions without taking too much flack. What is the best way to access a cooler behind the seat short of getting out and standing in shallow water? I'm not as flexible as in earlier days and admittedly I am still acclamating to the stability of the boat. :27
cotton
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Re: Cooler Access

Post by cotton »

Don't reach. You'll flip. Turn your whole body and let both feet dangle in the water on 1 side.
A better Kayaker today, than yesterday.
Red Hobie Revolution
Green Native Slayer 12
Sand Hobie Pro Angler 14
Mongo
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Post by Mongo »

Thanks! I suspected that may be the answer. Learn something new everyday and always a good thing to stay right side up.
cotton
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by cotton »

Once you get confortable in your yak you'll figure out how much reaching is allowed. Every yak and person is different. The one time I flipped it was a result of reaching and a wave. Dangling legs on one side allows you to reach behind you confortably. Straddling or dangling 1 leg on each side allows me to scoot all the way to the front. Sometime when your in shallow water play around with it.
A better Kayaker today, than yesterday.
Red Hobie Revolution
Green Native Slayer 12
Sand Hobie Pro Angler 14
BigIrish
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by BigIrish »

cotton wrote:Once you get confortable in your yak you'll figure out how much reaching is allowed. Every yak and person is different. The one time I flipped it was a result of reaching and a wave. Dangling legs on one side allows you to reach behind you confortably. Straddling or dangling 1 leg on each side allows me to scoot all the way to the front. Sometime when your in shallow water play around with it.
that is gospel, don't twist to reach back :oops:
Thankfully I can kneel forward to get to the front in the Outback and there is no stability issues going forward.
With these 20 Knot March and April winds about to start you might want to change that cooler out with something with a lower profile until May or so. Use a fish bag (put your lunch in a hefty container then in the bag) and/or pack your drinks in the center hatch.
Mongo
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Post by Mongo »

Thanks again for the suggestions. The side stradle worked well Sat. I have already made a note to self to limit reaching too far behind me; things seemed to get unstable pretty quick. I'm riding an old 15 foot prowler and with me as ballast the boat seems pretty stable overall. I don't plan on fighting any 20+ winds this spring, I'll stay home and read the fishing reports. I have enough trouble throwing anywhere close to my target in 10-12s. :oops:
salty gator
Yaking Monster
Yaking Monster

Post by salty gator »

BigIrish wrote:
cotton wrote:Once you get confortable in your yak you'll figure out how much reaching is allowed. Every yak and person is different. The one time I flipped it was a result of reaching and a wave. Dangling legs on one side allows you to reach behind you confortably. Straddling or dangling 1 leg on each side allows me to scoot all the way to the front. Sometime when your in shallow water play around with it.
that is gospel, don't twist to reach back :oops:
Thankfully I can kneel forward to get to the front in the Outback and there is no stability issues going forward.
With these 20 Knot March and April winds about to start you might want to change that cooler out with something with a lower profile until May or so. Use a fish bag (put your lunch in a hefty container then in the bag) and/or pack your drinks in the center hatch.
Dang, BI how much beer do you take if your cooler is so big that it acts like a sail :D . I thought I took a lot of beer, and my cooler doesn't even go above the sides on my yak.
You should have been here yesterday
frank
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Post by frank »

I have a Polar Bear cooler that I push in front of me between my legs. When I want to access it, I just pull it towards me.....keeps it right where you can easily access it.
BigIrish
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by BigIrish »

salty gator wrote:
Dang, BI how much beer do you take if your cooler is so big that it acts like a sail :D . I thought I took a lot of beer, and my cooler doesn't even go above the sides on my yak.

I don't use a cooler at all because of the sail effect, but many a friend has gone over when we rounded points and a 25 knot gust grabs them.