New to kayak fishing, come on in for answers.

Moderators: Talltails, LCallaghan, jsuber

Yakmanjr
Yak Daddy
Yak Daddy

Post by Yakmanjr »

Hey everyone! So glad to find this forum. I've lived in Tallahassee for the last 6 years. Been salt and fresh water fishing my whole life. Just bought a kayak and cant wait to try fishing from it. Unfortunately it is the cheapest one they sell at Dicks as that's all I could afford. 8 Ft. Sit in kayak. Plan on making some alterations to it like adding a couple of flush mount rod holders. I've always wanted to kayak fish for reds and trout and can't wait to try it. Have no clue where to get started though.

Quick question: I have the free saltwater fishing license (fishing from land) do I need to buy another saltwater license since I'll be fishing from a boat?

Great to be here!
fishinbug
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Re: Newbie

Post by fishinbug »

Short answer is yes you will need a license to fish from the kayak.

Welcome to the site. There are a lot of good threads on here. Read plenty and go fishing.
"It's not as easy as I make it look."
---thus sayeth the suber
Yakmanjr
Yak Daddy
Yak Daddy

Post by Yakmanjr »

fishinbug wrote:Short answer is yes you will need a license to fish from the kayak.

Welcome to the site. There are a lot of good threads on here. Read plenty and go fishing.

Thanks fishinbug.....My eyes will be glued to this site for the next few hours. :D
bigboots
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Post by bigboots »

Welcome,lots of good info on this site.
Shorewalker
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by Shorewalker »

I agree - real license is required to fish once you get in kayak. If you do go with flush mount in a sit inside make you get one that can seal on the bottom.
Orange Wildy Ride 135
Tan Hobie Pro Angler
Green Ocean Kayak Prowler Trident 15
Green/White Perception Tribe 9
bk
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by bk »

Welcome aboard! Plenty of great info from a great group of anglers on this site. You will love the freedom of the yak. Look forward to seeing you out there.
"i said flotation is groovy and easy. Even a jellyfish would agree to that." - jimi
Yakmanjr
Yak Daddy
Yak Daddy

Post by Yakmanjr »

bk wrote:Welcome aboard! Plenty of great info from a great group of anglers on this site. You will love the freedom of the yak. Look forward to seeing you out there.

Thanks for the warm welcome BK! Been reading up on the forum and loving all the info so far. Hoping to make my first trip out next Sunday. Any recommendations for a newb on the best place to put in and fish?
BigIrish
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by BigIrish »

Welcome, I started with a sit in. If you flush mount in the front, make sure you leave room for your legs. I went with surf stakes cut to length and bolted to the outside close behind me as it is very tippy reaching back in a sit in. I also added some u blots up front to be able to clip things to, and an anchor trolley. My old Pelican has holes in the front and back as tie offs, I clipped a caribiner to each on, strung the line thru them and tied it off to a third caribiner, no pulleys. Use cotton clothesline rather than poly so it slides easily when it is wet.

I am going to Leonards Landing at about 8 on Sunday 3/16, you are welcome to come.
Yakmanjr
Yak Daddy
Yak Daddy

Post by Yakmanjr »

BigIrish wrote:Welcome, I started with a sit in. If you flush mount in the front, make sure you leave room for your legs. I went with surf stakes cut to length and bolted to the outside close behind me as it is very tippy reaching back in a sit in. I also added some u blots up front to be able to clip things to, and an anchor trolley. My old Pelican has holes in the front and back as tie offs, I clipped a caribiner to each on, strung the line thru them and tied it off to a third caribiner, no pulleys. Use cotton clothesline rather than poly so it slides easily when it is wet.

I am going to Leonards Landing at about 8 on Sunday 3/16, you are welcome to come.
Thanks for the invite BI. After taking out the 8ft sit in to Lake Jackson on Monday, I've decided to let my wife have that one and I'm currently in the market for another. As soon as I get a decent fishing kayak, I'll take you up on that offer!