Local tackle shops?

New to kayak fishing, come on in for answers.

Moderators: Talltails, LCallaghan, jsuber

Tie1on

Local tackle shops?

Post by Tie1on »

I've been enjoying reading all the posts on fcka for months now. I live in East Tennessee and will be making my first trip to the forgotten coast (SGI) in October, and can't wait to get the kayak in the water down there. I've slowly been acquiring the "essentials" as recommended by Mr Suber and have gathered that my ultralight crappie combos and 4 wt fly outfits my not quite cut the mustard down at the FC. My question: can you guys fill me in on some local tackle shops in the area? I'll be coming through tally on my way to SGI and would really like to support the local businesses while I'm in the area.

Thanks
jsuber
Site Admin
Site Admin

Local tackle shops?

Post by jsuber »

Kevin's , Academy, Angie's Marine in Medart. Crums in Panacea. At Marks Outfitters in St Marks

Jeff Suber
Jeff Suber

¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>

2022 Hobie Pro Angler 14
2019 Hobie Outback
Malone Trailer
Penn Battle III
Bone One-Knocker and Gold ADL spoon
Geoyaker
Yak Daddy
Yak Daddy

Re: Local tackle shops?

Post by Geoyaker »

If you make it all the way to the island and forget something, there are a few shops on the island. St George outfitters has some stuff.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend. -Bruce Lee
BackCast
Yaking Monster
Yaking Monster

Post by BackCast »

From Tennessee, huh? There's no good direct way to get to SGI from the north unless maybe you can figure out how to come down 65. I either end up coming from the east or the west. I'm sure there are plenty of tackle shops in Eastpoint or Apalach but can't think of any, except for the Orvis shop which is going to be pricey. If you come from the east, Suber's suggestions are very good. If you come from the west, and travel through Port St. Joe, both Half Hitches and Bluewater Outfitters offer an excellent selection of tackle. PSJ is about 35 or 40 minutes west of SGI.
Geoyaker
Yak Daddy
Yak Daddy

Post by Geoyaker »

There is apalach outfitters in apalach. A little bit of tackle there. In eastpoint there is fisherman's choice. Beside Napa, I think. Good selection and good prices.they also have live bait.
I would come down 65 and avoid psj or crawfordville. Just make sure you have plenty of gas and window washing fluid.
Also a correction on my last post. Not called st george outfitters, it's called island outfitters.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend. -Bruce Lee
Tie1on

Post by Tie1on »

Thanks for all the info! Looking at google earth, it looks like 65 will be a more direct path to SGI coming from the north. Thanks again.