Newbie Introduction

New to kayak fishing, come on in for answers.

Moderators: Talltails, LCallaghan, jsuber

Miamijac

Newbie Introduction

Post by Miamijac »

I'm Javier, new to Tallahassee, via Miami; early January. I'm an unpretentious angler just wanting to get out, have some fun, and improve my skills and knowledge with good company. I'm a complete virgin to these waters and hot spots and would love to get out and explore some. I've had my yak for a while and usually hit up (inshore) Key Biscayne, the Keys, and the Everglades. I also like to gear up my cruiser and pedal around town looking for neighborhood lakes and hidden spots. Look forward to meeting up.

Anyone have a trolling motor attached to their yak? Any advice on attaching it to my crate is welcomed.
Mongo
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Re: Newbie Introduction

Post by Mongo »

Welcome! Suggest that you review the launch locations tab on this site. There is a good variety of fishable water in this area. I'm pretty sure that you will have to register the yak if you equip it with a trolling motor...could be wrong.
fishinbug
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by fishinbug »

Bienvenidos, Javier. :D The landscape is different up here. Substitute spartina for mangroves and oysters bars for patch reefs.
"It's not as easy as I make it look."
---thus sayeth the suber
BigIrish
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by BigIrish »

Welcome Javier,
Tides are important here, negative tides mean mud, stinking knee deep mud. Read the essentials, we have the same fish, (sans snook) basically the same bait, slightly different presentations. Good Luck.
Miamijac

Post by Miamijac »

appreciate it.
thawthorne

Post by thawthorne »

I live in Atlanta, spent 6/14-21 at Alligator Point and wish I'd found this site beforehand - great, great info.

While there I fished my WS Pamlico Angler off of the beach the whole week. Caught a couple small trout, a bunch of cats - one 3-4 lber took a Top Dog, which was kinda fun, some nice black tips, and some Spanish mackerel - including a ~24" one (just add corn meal!).

The high point by far however, was hooking up -albeit briefly - with a 90+lb tarpon. I'd seen them rolling, paddled up ahead of them thinkin' what the heck. Well it took my silver spoon, started ripping my 10 lb test, left a hole in the water you could park a Fiat 500 in as it launched itself 30' off the bow, spit my spoon back at me and landed with a splash I'll never forget.

It was awesome :^).

The only drawback is that after that, it's gonna be real tough getting excited about pulling an 11" trout from the Hooch in the same yak!

Thanks for all the great insight, I'm looking forward to keeping up from afar and I will most definitely be back to hit the park and the bay next time.

Be well.
BigIrish
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by BigIrish »

That is the addiction! :D
capncrunch
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by capncrunch »

Pedal your cruiser on over to Piney Z for some neighborhood bassin'
bk
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by bk »

Welcome aboard
"i said flotation is groovy and easy. Even a jellyfish would agree to that." - jimi
bigboots
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Post by bigboots »

Welcome