How do you?

New to kayak fishing, come on in for answers.

Moderators: Talltails, LCallaghan, jsuber

redfish14
Yakaholic
Yakaholic

How do you?

Post by redfish14 »

I see that you guys and gals seem to keep all your gear behind the seat. My question is how do you access it while in or on the yak? I had a Redfish 14 which when I tried to get to my ice or anything else that would dump me.
OK sold that. I now have a sit in (which is more stable until I try to get out) that has a massive amount of room in an open well behind the seat. I still cannot reach the gear unless I get out of the boat. The Yak is only 10 feet so anything I keep in front ends up sliding all the way to the bow. I have enough problem getting out of the Yak I am considering another SOT or is there a hybrid that you sit lower in than most SOTS?
Mongo
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Re: How do you?

Post by Mongo »

I posed that same question concerning my sit on top and was told to hang your legs off the side to access rear storage. I was strongly advised not to reach behind me as that creates a very unstable condition although as I've gotten more comfortable, I do frequently reach behind me for poles, fishing tackle, etc.

I'm not sure how you would accomplish that with a sit-in especially one that is only 10 feet long.
redfish14
Yakaholic
Yakaholic

Post by redfish14 »

Thanks,

I used the leg dangle method on the Redfish, but still got dumped a few times. I guess I have two choices. Get another SOT or build outriggers. Since my wife is against another boat I guess outriggers is my answer. Otherwise the little 10 foot from Bass Pro Shops is a great little boat for me. Not as heavy as a SOT. Low seating makes it stable. The really bad thing is no room for flotation in case I do flip.
bk
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by bk »

Most of the wider SOT's will allow you to acces stuff behind you quite easily. I easily turn sitting, or stand up and turn around in the slayer. Another option is keeping the majority of stuff that you need either under your seat, on the sides of your seat, or in front of you.
"i said flotation is groovy and easy. Even a jellyfish would agree to that." - jimi
redfish14
Yakaholic
Yakaholic

Post by redfish14 »

Thanks. I like the Frontier but my wallet doesn't.
BigIrish
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by BigIrish »

I dangle my feet if things get tangled back there, otherwise I hardly reach back. If I do it is for the a small captains bag that holds tackle that I can reach behind me easily and bring forward. Inside the crate is my dry box which I don't open except in emergencies and my first aid kit

My old sit in I slid stuff between my legs on the floor like the measuring stick and bait bucket, other stuff went on the front top under bungee cords I installed with Eye Bolts and U Bolts like the landing net. It had a dry hatch that I put my wallet and phone and keys in and kept closed.

Behind me I carried the anchor on one side wedged against the side of the seat, inside I carried 2 Rubbermaid containers of the flat type. I put a noodle and netting to keep them where I could reach them behind my back, I cut the bottom of the rear hatch out to store my Cast net from the top.
You couldn't reach it under way but I did not need it then.
jsuber
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jsuber »

I have never had a hard time getting to items in my milk crate behind my seat. But I have always had a wilderness systems kayak and don't know what the other boats are like.
Jeff Suber

¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>

2022 Hobie Pro Angler 14
2019 Hobie Outback
Malone Trailer
Penn Battle III
Bone One-Knocker and Gold ADL spoon
madphilip
Yakaholic
Yakaholic

Post by madphilip »

I fish from a WS Tarpon 120. I've set up my crate where everything stands up on end so I can feel for the item without turning.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
bk
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by bk »

A native ultimate could be what you're looking for. I believe Kevin's has em at 30% off right. May be worth a look.
"i said flotation is groovy and easy. Even a jellyfish would agree to that." - jimi
redfish14
Yakaholic
Yakaholic

Post by redfish14 »

thanks guys