Lake Jackson 2/21

Moderators: Talltails, LCallaghan, jsuber

GoodCall
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Lake Jackson 2/21

Post by GoodCall »

Had scheduling obligations for the early half of Saturday, and, from where I was, it seemed to be pretty sunny and not real windy. Was thinking the afternoon fishing trip to the sweetwater would have pretty good conditions. WRONG.

I met BigSmooth850 at the launch and we were greeted with whitecaps and extremely cloudy skies around 2:30. Gave it a go despite the adverse conditions...the winds were a steady 15-20, occasionally gusting higher, and on extremely rare occasion, dying down to a reasonable 10 or so. Not a lot of folks were out on the water due to the wind.

We spent a lot of the day in a swift drift due to the wind, but occasionally we could find some slick water up against some heavy brush. Surprisingly, we had a few topwater blowups dragging frogs through the pads. I threw a frog into a rather calm area against some brush and began my retrieve when I saw what everyone who throws topwater longs to see...the wake headed towards your lure. Had a strong strike, but wasn't able to hookup. Threw right back on top of her and saw the same wake follow the bait, this time I reeled down and got a solid hookset. Caught and released my first bass from Jackson in a while, a 21.5" fish that was likely around 6 pounds.

Fun day on the water...the beer was cold and I know warmer (and hopefully calmer) days are around the corner! :A1
Last edited by GoodCall on Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Edwade
Yak Daddy
Yak Daddy

Re: Lake Jackson 2/21

Post by Edwade »

Great report on less than ideal conditions, and nice catch! I'm glad to see some early evidence of activity starting on Jackson. Thanks!
WannaDoDat
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by WannaDoDat »

Way to go, Brad! Nice one! I bet she was a beauty! It's very exciting to catch those bass on topwater. :A1

The high winds can make for tough fishing but using the "calm" shore, vegetation and an anchor can sure make it doable.

I've been finding them in varying depths depending on the temperature and time of day. A lot of shallow activity lately but some big gals out in the pads in deeper water, too. A combination of grass and pads going from shallow to deeper water has been prime. Lots of new water spawning areas with all the rain.

Jean
capncrunch
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by capncrunch »

I love Jackson. Thanks for the report.