Advice on rods and rigging

New to kayak fishing, come on in for answers.

Moderators: Talltails, LCallaghan, jsuber

Medic1203

Advice on rods and rigging

Post by Medic1203 »

Hi there thanks again for letting me in on the forum. I am a virgin kayak fisher, never been on the water in a fishing kayak, wanting to keep it very simple and see what I want to get/do in the process.

I am trying to set up only two rods, one light medium action and the other medium-heavy. Trying to find advice on the best combinations of line for each (braid lines and leaders), sort of 'one size fits all' approach so I can switch from specks, etc to the bigger fish on the same trip offshore. I need to keep it simple since I'm new. I cant seem to find any existing threads on the topic. Thanks.
Edwade
Yak Daddy
Yak Daddy

Re: Advice on rods and rigging

Post by Edwade »

Welcome to the site Medic1203! There are tons of permutations, but the standard setup for this area is probably a medium 7' spinning rod, with a 2000 or 3000 class spinning reel. That will handle most things here, unless you really are targeting tarpon or cobia. 20 lb braid, and 2 feet of 20-30 lb fluorocarbon leader are a typical standard setup. Look for some of the great posts on this site which lay out the time tested baits and lures. Get in with some of the experienced folks, and you're going to love it!
BigIrish
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by BigIrish »

Most use 3 rods, some only 1. I am alive bait fisherman, so I use Yozuri 12# on 3000 light med Ugly Stik and also on a light med 7'6 Flats Blue with the 4000 sabalos. I also carry a 7' Med heavy with a 5500 with 30# Power Pro incase I need it. I use a swivel, usually no lead, and about 3 to 4 feet of Flouro to a #2 to 4/0 thin wire circle hooks depending on the size of the bait.

When throwing artificial, you can use 7 to 8 foot light to med with a 3000 or 4000 reel , the fish can't sound in shallow water so you can use light tackle, a gold spoon rod with 15# braid, a cork rod for trout with 10 or 12 mono/copolymer, and 15 or 20 # castable flouro for spinner baits. Some use leaders some don't, I like 20# flouro on most things, but I do tie spoons directly to the braid sometimes.

Read the essentials, see how they cast for you, long casts is one of the keys. Good luck and welcome aboard!
GoodCall
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Post by GoodCall »

Edwade hit the nail on the head....nearly exactly what I was going to recommend for your typical inshore species (redfish, trout, flounder). 7 foot rods, 3000 series reels, 20# braid, 30# leader (about 2-3 feet).

Use a union knot (i use the double union knot pictured above) to attach the braid to the leader. Leader is important because some fish (redfish in particular) have blount, grinding teeth in the backs of their mouths where the line can rub up against and sometimes fray during their fight. Braid frays much easier than the flourocarbon, so it's another added benefit aside from the higher strength rating and lowering the visibilty of the line (clear flouro vs. the colored braid).

I also use a 3 rod setup....usually one for topwater, one for a jig/jerkbait/twitchbait, one for a spoon. Depending on the weather/situation/etc, I sometimes drag some live or cut bait behind me with one of the rods (either free-lined or under a Cajun Thunder popping cork) with very loose drag. This method usually nets about 90% trash fish in my experience (sailcats & sharks mostly), but occasionally it'll yield a red or trout.

Welcome to the FCKA forum!
Shorewalker
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by Shorewalker »

I think if you are going to only carry two rods you will need to decide the fish you will target. Also you need to decide if you will go spinning or baitcast. (Two redfish rods will give you the ability to catch a lot of fish and have a backup.)

Target: Trout Flounder and pinfish 6.5 to 7.5 foot 6 -12 lb rod (1/8 oz to 5/8oz lures) with a sensitive tip is best. 12 - 20 lb powerpro and 15 to 20 lb fluoro leader. Quality 2000 to 3000 class spinning reel or similar baitcaster.

Baits of this setup: plastics (1/16 ot 1/8 jig or not), gold spoons, free line shrimp.

This can double as a pinfish rod with a smaller hook and a bit of fishbites or similar.

Target: Redfish, Bluefish, Spanish Mackerel
6.5 to 7.5 foot 12 -18 lb rod (1/4 oz to 1oz lures) with a sensitive tip is best. 20 lb powerpro and 20 to 30 lb fluoro leader. Quality 2500 to 4000 class spinning reel or similar baitcaster.

Note: this can work for trout, flounder, and even pinfish but it is just not going to be as sensitive.

Baits for this setup: topwaters, spoons, popping cork, plastics with 1/8 or 1/4 jighead, suspending baits.

Target: Bigger fish (Shark, Tarpon, Bull Reds, Black Drum, Cobia)6.5 to 7.5 foot 30 lb rod (3/4 oz to 4oz lures) with a bigazz tip is best. 50 lb powerpro and 50 to 100lb leader and wire traces. Quality 5500 and up class spinning reel or similar baitcaster.

Danger: To successfuly target these fish, you will need a minimum 2 years of kayak fishing experience and /or a group of experienced fishermen to help. These fish will drag you around. These fish will flip you over if your gear is set wrong or fails. These fish will need a way to revive them at release. Please search tarpon on the forum for more advice on targeting big fish.

You will save this for big baits like 2+ oz topwater, suspending, or hogy style plastics and weigthed cork with 6/0 circle hook and a 4 inch pinfish underneath.

All of this said, you can catch redfish etc. on a smaller trout rod but the odds start stacking against you.

Finally, the reel you choose will likely need to approach $75 and up to get a full season in a kayak and in saltwater. And then only if treat them nice and rinse them every time in a mist setting on an adjustable hose sprayer. Saltwater kills reel. Kayaks sit too close to the water level. Reels are gonna get wet.
Orange Wildy Ride 135
Tan Hobie Pro Angler
Green Ocean Kayak Prowler Trident 15
Green/White Perception Tribe 9
BigIrish
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by BigIrish »

Danger young will robinson! Good advice Shorewalker.
Medic1203

Post by Medic1203 »

Thanks, am setting them up now as advised.
gatoremt
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Post by gatoremt »

I use this same knot when connecting my leader. I usually put 2 to 3 ft and it goes through the eyes with no problem.

GoodCall wrote:Edwade hit the nail on the head....nearly exactly what I was going to recommend for your typical inshore species (redfish, trout, flounder). 7 foot rods, 3000 series reels, 20# braid, 30# leader (about 2-3 feet).

Use a union knot (i use the double union knot pictured above) to attach the braid to the leader. Leader is important because some fish (redfish in particular) have blount, grinding teeth in the backs of their mouths where the line can rub up against and sometimes fray during their fight. Braid frays much easier than the flourocarbon, so it's another added benefit aside from the higher strength rating and lowering the visibilty of the line (clear flouro vs. the colored braid).

I also use a 3 rod setup....usually one for topwater, one for a jig/jerkbait/twitchbait, one for a spoon. Depending on the weather/situation/etc, I sometimes drag some live or cut bait behind me with one of the rods (either free-lined or under a Cajun Thunder popping cork) with very loose drag. This method usually nets about 90% trash fish in my experience (sailcats & sharks mostly), but occasionally it'll yield a red or trout.

Welcome to the FCKA forum!
Griff ~ 14.5' UN
Virtus Junxit Mors Non Separabit"What virtue has joined together,
death shall not separate"
Deus bonus est,
kikstand454
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by kikstand454 »

All great advice here!

I can only add this. If you're going to throw a popping cork with any regularity, you owe it to yourself to put braid on that rod. It makes everything, from the cast to the action of the cork to the hookset 100% better/easier. It will also last for YEARS. When it gets faded or noticeably old- stretch it out across you yard, tie the old side to your spool, and reel up your brand new braid. :)

I fish baitcasters on 7'mh graphite bass rods for 99% of my inshore fishing- but I have one 7'mh uglystick inshore graphite that I have a spinning reel on with braid- specifically for throwing a cork. I hardly ever use it- but I'm confident in it when I need it.
fishshooter99
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Post by fishshooter99 »

I couldn't agree more on the previous advise. I use 7-71/2' med light and medium rods with fast tips on the flats and pair them with a small stable of various Stradic reels in 2500 - 4000 range. All are strung with braid from 15 to 30 lb depending on the target / area. I personally prefer an Albright knot to attach fluorocarbon to braid as It makes a very small "barrel" shaped knot. Certain flouro's are more difficult to tie using the Albright, but the double uni (while a little more difficult to tie is bullet proof). I also have an XXH 8' Teramar with a Quantum Cabo 6000 with 50 lb braid and 60 lb flouro for Tarpon. I do use the Double uni on my Tarpon rod because tying 60lb flouro is like trying to tie weedeater line!
http://www.netknots.com/files/8214/0053 ... al2014.jpg

You are now hooked, love the addiction!
Expatriate Floridian living in the "Land of the Ice and Snow" that is Atlanta.
Gary