Post by capncrunch »

http://www.wctv.tv/home/headlines/Lake- ... 81021.html

The extra mercury poisoning is an added bonus :wink:
cotton
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Re: Eat More Bass!

Post by cotton »

I have argued this point with folks for a long time. It's just as important to keep inferior fish as it is to put back trophies. Both improve the genetics of what's left in the lake. Glad to see FWC implementing this.
A better Kayaker today, than yesterday.
Red Hobie Revolution
Green Native Slayer 12
Sand Hobie Pro Angler 14
bk
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by bk »

Bass-O-matic!!! Mmmmmm. Now that's good bass!!
"i said flotation is groovy and easy. Even a jellyfish would agree to that." - jimi
BloodyChamp
Yak Daddy
Yak Daddy

Post by BloodyChamp »

I understand that concept but does Lake Jackson fall under the same category as my Grandfather's old farm pond and it's bream that would bite a 1/567 centimeter of a worm, with it's BASS? I have a hard time believing that.
BackCast
Yaking Monster
Yaking Monster

Post by BackCast »

I guess I understand and agree with the idea in general. After all, I've been preaching to shoot inferior bucks and leave the better young ones for the past several years. But don't the female bass have to be under 16" before they become over 16"? I dunno. I've been releasing all my bass for more than 20 years and don't think I could bring myself to keep one now.
andystaxidermy
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Post by andystaxidermy »

The idea is to lower the fish population thus reducing the competition amongst those left. That spells lots of fat mamas getting plenty of easy meals....it works tne same with deer...lower deer density usually translates to healthier deer(bigger racks)... not all 16" will grow tobe 10# fish...just like not all bucks are destine to be 10pts :A1
work hard, fish hard
BloodyChamp
Yak Daddy
Yak Daddy

Post by BloodyChamp »

Like I said I agree with the concept, assuming overpopulation is a thing. I just don't believe it is when it comes to a lake that was originally a prairie lake and 2 sinkholes.
kikstand454
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by kikstand454 »

Jackson has had its ups and downs.....literally....many many times.

But one thing it has never had, is a problem breeding big bass. The last time the lake was almost bone dry, there were people catching buckets full of 6-8lbers out of pools and taking them home to eat. The lake is just fine today. And hardly had an issue at all, even when it was at its lowest......

Taking the 1-2lbers out would do nothing but IMPROVE the bass population.......within reason of course.
cotton
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by cotton »

I wonder what percentage of bass under 16" in lake jackson are males. It stands to reason that because they grow slower, it would be high.

I'm here in MO this week and my sister in-law raises fish for the state. 2 years ago they implemented a protected slot of 12- 15 inches. I know that seems low, but a 20 incher is rare here. She has urged folks for the last 2 years to keep a limit of 11.5" fish. I can see a huge difference this year. Rarely do you catch a small fish. I bass fished for about 1 hour yesterday and caught a dozen right at 15 inches with a bonus 20 inch fish. They seem to have the freshwater science down.
A better Kayaker today, than yesterday.
Red Hobie Revolution
Green Native Slayer 12
Sand Hobie Pro Angler 14