Out of Towners Seeking Advice

New to kayak fishing, come on in for answers.

Moderators: Talltails, LCallaghan, jsuber

Part-Time Gypsy

Out of Towners Seeking Advice

Post by Part-Time Gypsy »

Hello All--a buddy and I will be taking a road trip with our yaks from North Texas to Florida later this month to catch (and release) some of your fine Forgotten Coast fish. We'll be staying near Crawfordville and are thinking we'll probably target the areas around Lanark Village and Alligator Point.

We're not targeting any one species in particular since FL has so much variety, though catching a tarpon would be an awesome experience.

I'm not looking for any honey holes, but can someone suggest a spot to do a little night fishing (bank is fine) while we're in town? Also, are there any areas you can suggest to get out of the wind in case it's really blowing while we're there? I've read the post on Forgotten Coast Essentials (thanks) and any other advice for a successful trip would be appreciated.

If anyone ever fishes the TX coast (especially Port Aransas or Port O'Connor) or Cocodrie/Leeville in LA, I'll be happy to give you some great spots to try.

Thanks!
fishinbug
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Re: Out of Towners Seeking Advice

Post by fishinbug »

Alligator Harbor is a good place to get out of the wind. Sun 'n Sand launch is a good spot to start. You'll find oyster bars and grass beds and cuts and creeks there. There are tarpons in the harbor too.
The link below lists a number of kayak launches. Sun 'n Sand is off of Alligator Harbor Rd.
https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?ll ... LGsCKfTZK0
"It's not as easy as I make it look."
---thus sayeth the suber
Baja Bob
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Post by Baja Bob »

Alligator Harbor is great if the Tarpon are there they're big.
kikstand454
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by kikstand454 »

Agreed with above. Sun and sand will be a spot for you to fairly easily catch some reds and trout as well.

Another idea in the area is Leonard's landing on hwy 98. It is a bit deeper water than AH and I have seen more tarpon out that way and to the west......vast grass flats there.

Have fun and let us know how you do!!!!
Part-Time Gypsy

Post by Part-Time Gypsy »

Thanks for all the solid info and advice. We're stopping first in your area for a few days, then heading towards the Sebastian Inlet area near Melbourne, then back across near Crystal River. I'll let you know how it goes and hopefully we'll have a few tales to tell (or pics to share). Thanks again!
GatorMD97
Baitor
Baitor

Post by GatorMD97 »

Can somebody pinpoint Leonards Landing for me on a map?
fishinbug
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by fishinbug »

GatorMD97 wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:35 pm Can somebody pinpoint Leonards Landing for me on a map?
I can. :mrgreen: On the link use the drop down arrow by Untitled Layer , Leonard's Landing is site #3.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mi ... 63858&z=13
"It's not as easy as I make it look."
---thus sayeth the suber
GatorMD97
Baitor
Baitor

Post by GatorMD97 »

Thanks fishinbug!