Wakulla Beach tides

New to kayak fishing, come on in for answers.

Moderators: Talltails, LCallaghan, jsuber

Olebiker
Baitor
Baitor

Wakulla Beach tides

Post by Olebiker »

This may seem a rather simple question, but I am a Kentucky boy and have never had to deal with tides when fishing.

It has been about five years since I have done any kayak fishing and have a question about Wakulla Beach. The only time I ever put in there I came back in at low tide and, to say the least, it was a struggle. I nearly left my boots in the mud (it was early Spring) and was exhausted by the time I finally got back on land.

For those of you who fish the area a lot, how do you handle the tides there? Do you time your trips to avoid low tides or do you just not have the same kind of trouble I experienced?
Dick Durbin
Tallahassee
jsuber
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Wakulla Beach tides

Post by jsuber »

I am an old Kentucky boy, and i read the tide chart on the front page of fcka.net and then decide when i am going fishing. Some tides fall lower than others. There are days when the tides barely change. So just pick your days and your spots. If it drops a lot, fish in one of the many any other locations we have listed...also on the front page.
Jeff Suber

¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>

2022 Hobie Pro Angler 14
2019 Hobie Outback
Malone Trailer
Penn Battle III
Bone One-Knocker and Gold ADL spoon
capncrunch
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by capncrunch »

Your not going to catch many green trout down there Durbin. My advice to you is to fish incoming tides until you get the feel of an area.
Olebiker
Baitor
Baitor

Post by Olebiker »

I tried kayak fishing about five years ago but didn't really have time to get comfortable with it. I sold the Heritage Redfish when I got my bass boat. I am retired now and have time to expand my fishing horizons a bit. I bought a Native Ultimate about eight months ago and love the layout but the lack of a self bailing cockpit kept me in fresh water.

I went in Kevin's yesterday and looked at a Native Slayer which is a similar layout but in a regular sit on top configuration. I went to look at it again this morning and they had it 30% off. It followed me home. I'll install an anchor trolley tomorrow and take to the salt water Monday if the weather cooperates.
Dick Durbin
Tallahassee