Fenholloway River - 1-27-2018

Moderators: Talltails, LCallaghan, jsuber

SRAces
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Fenholloway River - 1-27-2018

Post by SRAces »

Met Tim, Ed and Buddy at 6:45am on Saturday to give the Fenholloway River a try. I had read up on the history of the river and all the pollution of the river by the big paper mill that is in Perry. They have a long way to go in cleaning up the river. The water color was like coffee. The plan was to find cleaner water other than the dark water of the Fenholloway.

We started catching fish around the mouth of the Fenholloway. Ed and Buddy stayed in that general area, while Tim and I set off to explore creeks to the west. We found a nice creek with clear water and that's where we caught most of our fish. Ed and Buddy called it a day earlier than us. Something about the "no see'ms" eating them alive...lol!

On the way back to the ramp with Tim needing a couple more fish to hit the 100 mark, he managed to catch 2 snook! In the Fenholloway no less!

Ed caught 40 plus fish while Buddy landed 30 plus. Tim and I always keep track as a friendly challenge throughout the day. Tim beat me with 2 snook, 3 reds and 95 trout. I ended up with 2 reds and 84 trout. It wouldn't have been hard to get a nice limit for taking fish home in the clear water away from the Fenholloway. Too busy catching fish to take pictures, but here are a few. :wink:

Fenholloway_1.jpg
Fenholloway_2.jpg
Fenholloway_3.jpg
Fenholloway_4.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Steve Stubbs
USAF (retired)
Lake Park, GA

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador
2018 Hobie Compass - Seagrass
2015 Hobie Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
Edwade
Yak Daddy
Yak Daddy

Re: Fenholloway River - 1-27-2018

Post by Edwade »

Great report Steve! My arms are still sore, and I didn't catch half the fish that you and Timmy got! The Fenholloway itself is pretty bad. But it get's diluted when the other river joins it near the mouth, and then the incoming tide flushes it out in that area. I hope this fishing in a barrel doesn't spoil us for those great days on the flats the rest of the year when we work to catch only 5 or 10 fish!
Fishbaitbilly
Yaking Monster
Yaking Monster

Post by Fishbaitbilly »

Wow! It's incredible to think that you guys caught more fish in a day that a lot of folks catch in an entire year! I'm looking forward to catching back up with Y'all in the not too distant future. What was your bait of choice for the area? I know that Tim loves to troll that Bomber Long-A all over the place. I think he even pulls it behind his truck!
SRAces
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Post by SRAces »

Billy,

I was fishing an Unfair lures Rip-N-Slash jerk bait and an Unfair lures chartreuse paddle tail on a jig head. Tim, Buddy, Ed and I all use the Unfair paddle tails. The Rocky's stores all have Unfair lures and soft plastics. The paddle tails work well in chartreuse, hot orange or white. Not sure what Tim was throwing as a hard bait. I know he was throwing the same paddle tails as well. :wink:
Steve Stubbs
USAF (retired)
Lake Park, GA

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador
2018 Hobie Compass - Seagrass
2015 Hobie Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
Edwade
Yak Daddy
Yak Daddy

Post by Edwade »

I was actually trying to find lures they wouldn't bite! I caught most swimming the chartreuse paddletails. But I also caught a bunch on suspending lures: a Paul's Dinkum Mullet, and a Paul Brown Fat Boy. Hope to fish with you soon FBB!
cotton
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by cotton »

I’ll add 1 more; Suspending sebile stick shad does a great job of weeding out the little ones.

When we finally got into the better fish, it worked well.

FBB we would love to have you join us. Its been too long.
A better Kayaker today, than yesterday.
Red Hobie Revolution
Green Native Slayer 12
Sand Hobie Pro Angler 14
BloodyChamp
Yak Daddy
Yak Daddy

Post by BloodyChamp »

I don't know how I missed this wow what a story.