Suwannee

New to kayak fishing, come on in for answers.

Moderators: Talltails, LCallaghan, jsuber

fishbone
Yakaholic
Yakaholic

Suwannee

Post by fishbone »

Any of you guys ever tried the Suwannee Wilderness Trail?(series of river camps from Live Oak to pretty close to Steinhatchee I think). My father is from Live Oak and my mother is from Mayo (Day). I grew up hunting and fishing on the Suwannee. Thought it looked like a cool trip. Wondering how long it would take to do the whole run.
Many memories from that river.I have been in Atlanta area since 1970 . Born in Jville lived in Lake City before Atl. We always came down for hunting season and all vacations. I am hoping to be able to spend more time down here.I am retired now and can only golf so much.Fishin is way less stressful also.
" Life is too cheap to drink short wine."
Kevin Kinney
wanderingbob
Baitor
Baitor

Re: Suwannee

Post by wanderingbob »

My son has yaked from Georgia to the gulf twice ! Camped at many of the suggested sites and many times in farms . I have been wanting to do for many years but life gets in the way ! Maybe this summer ? I wonder how many camp sites disappear when the river is high , like now ?
badweatherbiker
Yakaholic
Yakaholic

Post by badweatherbiker »

local guy here grew up on the Withlaoochie and spent quite a bit of time on the Suwannee, I run from my home close to the Withlacoochie down to the Suwannee occasionally but have never went all the way to the gulf although I have friends that do it at least once or twice a year. Grew up in Madison but spent many years in Lake City and living back in Madison Co now.
I'm in!
hammy
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Post by hammy »

High water won't take as long.
fishbone
Yakaholic
Yakaholic

Post by fishbone »

@badweatherbiker. I remember going to Madison with my Uncle Roy Bell to the tobacco auctions in Madison. I guess you know where Day town is huh ?
Kevin Kinney
badweatherbiker
Yakaholic
Yakaholic

yep, know where Day town is go through there occasionally. I guess the rivers here are still a no go, sewage from Lowndes county coming down the Withlacoochie into the Suwannee, I am going to give it a bit longer before I do any paddling/ fishing on the rivers.
Qanine
Yakaholic
Yakaholic

Post by Qanine »

badweatherbiker wrote:yep, know where Day town is go through there occasionally. I guess the rivers here are still a no go, sewage from Lowndes county coming down the Withlacoochie into the Suwannee, I am going to give it a bit longer before I do any paddling/ fishing on the rivers.

Brown Trout and Crappie fishing... Not much wrong with that!
fishbone
Yakaholic
Yakaholic

Post by fishbone »

badweatherbiker wrote:"yep, know where Day town is go through there occasionally." I guess the rivers here are still a no go, sewage from Lowndes county coming down the Withlacoochie into the Suwannee, I am going to give it a bit longer before I do any paddling/ fishing on the rivers.
My Granny lived in the trailer right next to the post office in Day.Barrs family been in Day many years.
Kevin Kinney
BloodyChamp
Yak Daddy
Yak Daddy

Post by BloodyChamp »

I know about Day, Foley, O'Brien, Lee and every other 1 of those little pieces of heaven. I was a pecan buyer over there for years. I was probably the last ever country style pecan buyer over there, maybe even the last 1 in the world that ever managed to last the whole season as the business has changed just that much (people still try it but never make it through a season). I'm still a pecan farmer...I'll buy pecans when I see a chance to make money but that way of life is basically a thing of the past from both ends of the spectrum.

Anyway I can't say I know much about the fishing over there but I've definitely looked at all the cool rivers over all the bridges I drove over. The Suwanee in Ellaville is within my reach. I was thinking about trying it out tomorrow for the first time ever. I figured I would bream fish with live bait while keeping a look out for mullet since I'm always looking for a low key place for mullet. And O yeah the woman in the Mayo tackle shop back in the day was gorgeous lol!
badweatherbiker
Yakaholic
Yakaholic

BloodyChamp wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:41 pm I know about Day, Foley, O'Brien, Lee and every other 1 of those little pieces of heaven. I was a pecan buyer over there for years. I was probably the last ever country style pecan buyer over there, maybe even the last 1 in the world that ever managed to last the whole season as the business has changed just that much (people still try it but never make it through a season). I'm still a pecan farmer...I'll buy pecans when I see a chance to make money but that way of life is basically a thing of the past from both ends of the spectrum.

Anyway I can't say I know much about the fishing over there but I've definitely looked at all the cool rivers over all the bridges I drove over. The Suwanee in Ellaville is within my reach. I was thinking about trying it out tomorrow for the first time ever. I figured I would bream fish with live bait while keeping a look out for mullet since I'm always looking for a low key place for mullet. And O yeah the woman in the Mayo tackle shop back in the day was gorgeous lol!
if you or anyone else is up for some fishing this year I am available most days during the week until around lunch time