St Marks NWR - 27 Sep 2015

Moderators: Talltails, LCallaghan, jsuber

Moore Lyon and Quick
Baitor
Baitor

St Marks NWR - 27 Sep 2015

Post by Moore Lyon and Quick »

Fished Long bar from 8:00AM - 1:30PM - tough day fly fishing in the wind. Had some sporadic activity and ended up with 3 trout, all around 19", each on a different fly - black/red clouser, olive/chart/tan clouser and a puglisi pinfish. Also caught a few small jacks. I almost got spooled today - something grabbed the fly and headed to shell point. It had taken almost 200 yards of backing when the leader popped. I was trying to get back into the kayak and get the anchors up when the line broke. I think it was a big ray - it just went on straight line, with a steady pull. Saw a few other fish being caught on live bait but it was slower than I expected.
bk
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Re: St Marks NWR - 27 Sep 2015

Post by bk »

Sounds like a great way to spend the morning. Glad you didn't lose your fly line. Stuff ain't cheap. Wind is the downside to salt fly fishing for sure. Thanks for the report!
"i said flotation is groovy and easy. Even a jellyfish would agree to that." - jimi
fishinbug
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by fishinbug »

I can only imagine the 'dance' that took place when you were trying to get in the kayak and weigh anchor while line is spinning off into the distance. Thanks for the report.

:D
"It's not as easy as I make it look."
---thus sayeth the suber
Moore Lyon and Quick
Baitor
Baitor

Post by Moore Lyon and Quick »

fishinbug wrote:I can only imagine the 'dance' that took place when you were trying to get in the kayak and weigh anchor while line is spinning off into the distance. Thanks for the report.

:D

Yeah - like a one legged man in an a** kicking contest :D
WannaDoDat
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by WannaDoDat »

Haha

Thanks for the report!

Jean