Wanting an anchor trolley

New to kayak fishing, come on in for answers.

Moderators: Talltails, LCallaghan, jsuber

Fishing buddy

Wanting an anchor trolley

Post by Fishing buddy »

I'm new to kayaking and I'm wanting to set up my kayak. I bought an anchor trolley system and was wondering what side to put it on and WHY? I'm right handed.
bk
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Re: Wanting an anchor trolley

Post by bk »

Didn't want to be rude and not reply, but I really can't provide much help, since I don't use an anchor trolley anymore. It was on the right side, I'm also right handed.
"i said flotation is groovy and easy. Even a jellyfish would agree to that." - jimi
Fishbaitbilly
Yaking Monster
Yaking Monster

Post by Fishbaitbilly »

I have anchor trolleys on both sides of my boat. I use it on the left side most of the time. I am right handed. That helps in handling fish on the side away from my ground line. I'm also kind of a weirdo. I use a bruce claw anchor, not a parking pole.
Fishing buddy

Post by Fishing buddy »

Thanks for replying. I've read up on it a little and everyone said its personal preference. I was wondering what was the reasons
people chose a side.
GoodCall
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Post by GoodCall »

Just added trolleys to both sides...glad i did. The side i felt would be my side of choice actually ends up being an issue with where my paddle clips are. On recent trips I've needed both a stakeout pole AND an anchor to stay put, and the anchor line has gotten tangled around my paddle and paddle clips many times. It's nice to have the versatility of both sides, but definitely think about your layout and what the functionality will be like before picking just one side.
kikstand454
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by kikstand454 »

I currently have mine on my left side, and this is because I felt that since I land my fish on my right side 90% or the time, I didn't want the pole or rigging there to be in the way.

However, I will be doing another one on my right side soon as well. I can't count how many times I've anchored in a current and the left side swung my kayak in such a way that I struggled to cast where I wanted. Enough times to make me want to fix the issue....that's for sure.

I stopped even bringing an anchor years ago. I have an 8' SOP and im rarely in water deeper than 5'. I'm actually about to make a smaller, 4' or so SOP for really shallow situations, as sometimes the 5' of extra anchor sticking up in the air is a PITA.
Fishing buddy

Post by Fishing buddy »

I ended up putting it on my left side so it would be out of my way when I cast. I plan on getting another one for the other side in case I need it. I also built some rocket launchers to go into my flush mounted rod holders. It works well keeping my rods further away from the water and i added an angle to the end so an extension can be added when needed for trolling. I need to add pictures to best show what I'm talking about but my knowledge of fishing is better than computers. 8)
kikstand454
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by kikstand454 »

Sounds like a great set up! Glad you got it worked out. :A1
fishindawg
Baitor
Baitor

Post by fishindawg »

I installed mine on the right after long consideration. 3 reasons. I like to land my fish on my left side, although there are many times when the fish just dont cooperate and I have to land them on the right. and 2, I have always stowed my stake out pole on my right side and just thought it was logical to keep it with the trolley. 3 - I cast right handed and like to fish front to left of kayak. Not sure any of this really matters though. I think it is just what you prefer. did have a big flounder swim circles around my stake out pole(clipped to trolley on the right side)multiple times a couple of weeks ago, I hooked the fish directly off of my left side and had to actually unstake just so I wouldnt lose the fish. Anyway, hope this helps.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jackson Cruise 12 - Dorado