Norther Angler Tips - Alligator Point Trip 8/27

New to kayak fishing, come on in for answers.

Moderators: Talltails, LCallaghan, jsuber

mcb0730

Norther Angler Tips - Alligator Point Trip 8/27

Post by mcb0730 »

Greeting Everyone,

I'm new here and will be making a trip down to Alligator Point at the end of August for a week. I'm an avid angler in the Ohio/PA region but pretty unfamiliar with saltwater fishing. The last two years, we have vacationed in Siesta Key and my attempts to catch some decent fish have been unsuccessful. I really only managed to get a few small snapper, ladyfish, and cat fish. We decided to go more out of the way this year and out of the touristy part of Florida and try Alligator point.

We are staying at Redfish Cottage:

https://www.vrbo.com/259406

I really want to try and target redfish, trout, flounder, and whatever other species there may be at this time of year. We will have access to 2 kayaks for the week that we will be there. I have a fishing Kayak up north here so I'm familiar with fishing from a Kayak. The set up I've used before were 2 medium action spinning rods with 20lb braid and 20lb floro leader. I've used a popping cork with DOA shrimp but never had any success on it. I've heard gulp shrimp, spoons, and poppers are all good choices. I've also seen people use what looks like a swim bait on a jig head for redfish. Not sure how that is fished though.

I'll mainly be fishing the bay so any advice would be greatly appreciated. We also have a large dock that we will be able to fish from. I plan on fishing from that as well when I'm not out on the kayak. I was thinking about getting a cast net but not sure what kind of live bait there is down there and if that is something common that you guys use. I've used frozen shrimp and squid before, but only really caught catfish on those. I'm open to trying anything. Would really like to get a redfish and trout off my bucket list though. Thanks everyone!

Kind Regards
-Mike
cotton
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Re: Norther Angler Tips - Alligator Point Trip 8/27

Post by cotton »

Why not book a 1 day kayak fishing charter on your first day. That would guarantee you success the rest of the week.

Here's the one I always recommend.
http://tnthideaway.com/
A better Kayaker today, than yesterday.
Red Hobie Revolution
Green Native Slayer 12
Sand Hobie Pro Angler 14
fishinbug
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by fishinbug »

My wife and I stayed at Redfish Cottage four years ago and we had a great time. Here's the thread:
http://www.fcka.net/phpbb3/viewtopic.ph ... it=cottage You'll be able to look across to some oyster bars from the end of the dock. There are plenty of fish around and between those bars during a moving tide. You'll find plenty of flooded grass on high tide and there are usually redfish rooting around in the grass. Follow the shore line to the left from the dock and get as far back in the creeks as possible. There are lots of fish that will be in very shallow water. I prefer a bone colored Spook Jr.

Have fun.
"It's not as easy as I make it look."
---thus sayeth the suber
BackCast
Yaking Monster
Yaking Monster

Post by BackCast »

Welcome.
I've never fished AP so I'm not going to offer any advice but I am curious as to where you're from in the PN/OH area. I live about 30 miles east of Columbus OH.
jsuber
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jsuber »

I may come out and fish with you ine morning and show you where to go.
Jeff Suber

¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>

2022 Hobie Pro Angler 14
2019 Hobie Outback
Malone Trailer
Penn Battle III
Bone One-Knocker and Gold ADL spoon
mcb0730

Post by mcb0730 »

Thanks everyone for the tips, I appreciate it. Fishinbug's report was great and it will help a lot! Thanks! Jsuber, I'll PM you. That would be great to get together with someone down there to do some fishing. I'll keep researching on my end. This forum seems like a great help!

-Mike
mcb0730

Post by mcb0730 »

BackCast wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:12 pm Welcome.
I've never fished AP so I'm not going to offer any advice but I am curious as to where you're from in the PN/OH area. I live about 30 miles east of Columbus OH.
I used to live in Grove City, PA but just moved to Ohio in the fall. I live about a half hour north of Youngstown, OH now. Really close to Pymatuning Lake if that rings a bell.
mcb0730

Post by mcb0730 »

fishinbug wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:39 pm My wife and I stayed at Redfish Cottage four years ago and we had a great time. Here's the thread:
http://www.fcka.net/phpbb3/viewtopic.ph ... it=cottage You'll be able to look across to some oyster bars from the end of the dock. There are plenty of fish around and between those bars during a moving tide. You'll find plenty of flooded grass on high tide and there are usually redfish rooting around in the grass. Follow the shore line to the left from the dock and get as far back in the creeks as possible. There are lots of fish that will be in very shallow water. I prefer a bone colored Spook Jr.

Have fun.
Thanks!!! Looks like you guys had a great time. Looks like you may have went the same time I'll be going down. Hopefully I'll have some luck! Appreciate the help!